Application Support Engineer
For more than 20 years Global Relay has set the standard and trends in compliant communications with our multi-award winning unified communications, data capture, and data analysis platform. We securely capture and manage the world’s communications data and give its owners greater control and visibility to drive value and ensure compliance with the regulatory requirements of a large variety of industries and authorities.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits and all the other typical things you expect, but we are not your typical company. Global Relay is a career-making company. It is a place for big ideas, new challenges, and cutting-edge innovation. It is a place where you can make an impact.
As an Application Support Engineer you will be responsible for the availability and reliability of Global Relay’s services that are used by 23,000 customers in 90 countries, including 22 of the top 25 banks. The role involves ensuring all services exceed availability targets, have in-depth monitoring and are proactively managed. The Application support team will be responsible for triage, troubleshooting and restoration of service when incidents do occur.
As an Application Support Engineer, who has experience of running business critical services, you will exhibit technical competence, be data driven and able to utilize your knowledge and experience to troubleshoot complex services. You will be responsible for ensuring Production incidents are managed to full recovery while mitigating customer impact at the earliest opportunity. Collaborating with other teams including Customer Support, Engineering, DevOps and Operations teams to ensure that all services are continually maintained and operated to the highest standards.
Core to success in the role will be proactive identification for improvements to stability, service recovery, observability and delivery of new components. Developing in-depth product knowledge, you will be able to apply this to all aspects of being an Application Support Engineer to make informed decisions, provide in-depth analysis and drive all aspects of service improvement.
- Service Reliability: Proactively identifying risks to service and remediate them. Reduce risk from deployments by improved use of resilience and ensuring appropriate testing of releases pre and post deployment. Provide support and troubleshooting when service incidents occur. Improve time to recover from service impacting incidents. Identifying trends and root causes to reduce volume of incidents.
- Automation: Identify and deliver on opportunities to use automation to increase efficiency, reduce toil and drive service availability. Use automation and orchestration techniques to provide repeatable solutions and reduce risk of mis-operations.
- Observability: Monitor and ensure smooth operation of all production services. Identifying gaps in coverage and improving observability of Production services. Ensuring appropriate events are generated for service failure or degradation scenarios. Responding to events and alerts in timely manner managing through to resolution.
- Knowledge management: Continuously improving the knowledge of the Application Support team to become subject matter experts on the Product and the technology that runs it. Collaborating with other teams to understand how underpinning services support the Products. Identifying opportunities to share knowledge and decrease the time it takes to resolve customer related incidents.
- Tech Stack:
Depending on your team, some of the technologies you will interact with:
- Platform and Database tech: Linux, Cassandra, Kafka, Arangodb
- Containerization/Virtualization: Kubernetes/OpenShift, VMware
- Instrumentation & Monitoring: Splunk, Zabbix, Prometheus, Grafana
- Scripting: Powershell, Python
- This role will include future on-call aspect once at appropriate knowledge level.
- Service focused
- Experience running highly available, critical services, ideally SaaS
- A problem solver who takes initiative
- Effortlessly self-motivates while working on team-based projects or individual tasks
- A well organized, thorough and detail oriented person
- Able to keep the “bigger picture” in mind while prioritizing conflicting demands and tasks
- Ability to take ownership in pressurised situations to provide direction during service incidents, tenacious enough to ensure issues do not get dropped
- Ability to negotiate and liaise with other teams to influence across teams as required to ensure appropriate outcome
- Confident enough to voice your opinion, ask questions and not afraid to suggest a better solution, without being abrasive
- Collaborative and willing to share knowledge, able to engage and meet needs of demanding stakeholders
- 1-3+ years’ experience as a SRE or Application Support Engineer or similar role
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field
- Scripting ability in Powershell, Python, etc.
- Understanding of software systems concepts such as networking, firewalls, protocols, databases and more
- Java debugging exposure – ability to complete thread dumps
- Experience with monitoring solutions
- Splunk experience – creating dashboards, reports, events & analysis
- Awareness of software delivery practices (CI/CD)
- Experience troubleshooting connectivity issues: TCP/IP, DNS, Telnet, Trace Route, TCP dump
- Awareness of load balancing technologies such as HA Proxy, Nginx, F5
- Experience of collaboration technologies: email, archiving, instant messaging
- Exposure to supporting voice / SMS technologies (nice to have)
At Global Relay there is no ceiling. This is the land of opportunity for the energetic, intelligent, and driven people that make this company great. The combination of the right people in the right positions and a rapidly growing company means unlimited career potential.
You will receive the mentoring, coaching, and support that you need to reach your personal and career goals. You’ll be part of a culture that promotes and rewards hard work and creativity and will grow into the new opportunities that are available to you.
To learn more about our business, culture, and community involvement, visit www.globalrelay.com.