Department/Unit: Government & Global Relations
Posting Number: S224-22
Employee Group: NSGEU Local 77
Position Type: Term
Duration of Contract: 24 months
Employment Type: Full Time
Full-time Equivalency (FTE): 1.0
Salary: $24.32 – $30.85 per hour ($41,101 – $52,130 per annum, 32.5 hours per week)
This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Job Design Unit in approximately six months.
About Dalhousie University
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our more than 20,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
Dalhousie’s Office of Government and Global Relations leads the university’s strategic engagement with all levels of government. It works to identify and foster opportunities for university, government, industry and other stakeholders to collaborate on common goals. Reporting to the Manager, Global Communications and Marketing, the Communications Specialist plays an integral role in developing and producing compelling written content for various projects and mediums.
- Produce compelling messaging targeting key audiences including current and future international students, parents, alumni, industry partners, and key stakeholders, and must develop an understanding of, and appreciation for, these audiences and their specific needs.
- Provide ideas and solutions for strategic marketing integrated campaigns across media channels, including print, broadcast, digital display, and landing pages for all stages of the customer journey.
- Monitor and analyze programs and activities at the university and assist in developing appropriate communication strategies for promoting them internationally.
- Develop and maintain advisory groups of staff, faculty and students who have lived experience or knowledge of key markets to ensure messaging will resonate with target audiences.
- Copy, edit and improve copy originating from other departments and faculties within Dalhousie, liaise with the appropriate stakeholders to confirm and fact check important stats, facts, figures, and statements about the university.
- Assist with the development of marketing campaigns collaboratively with Creative Services and external agencies, as required.
The successful applicant will be eligible for hybrid work (combination of in-person work on campus and remote work) as agreed by all parties based on operational requirements and university guidelines.
Dalhousie’s vaccine mandate has been suspended at this time, and employees no longer need to provide proof of full vaccination. However, health and safety risks to our community will continue to be monitored and a vaccine mandate may be reinstated if necessary.
Undergraduate degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or related field, plus approximately two years’ relevant communications experience, preferably in a university environment (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Must have demonstrated experience writing for a wide and diverse range of audiences and formats to realize specific communications goals. Demonstrated experience supporting and contributing to communications strategies and supporting business/organizational objectives is required. Must have demonstrated experience in social media content creation and with website content management systems. Ability to act autonomously, exercise discretion, and show good judgement is essential. Understanding of HTML and experience with Adobe Experience Manager considered an asset.
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
Bargaining unit employees (NSGEU local 77) are given priority consideration and will be notified on the status of their application following assessment. All other applications will be considered when there is no qualified candidate from the bargaining unit.
We sincerely appreciate all applications and note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly by the hiring department or Human Resources.
Dalhousie University commits to achieving inclusive excellence through continually championing equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons (especially Mi’kmaq), persons with a disability, racialized persons, including persons of Black/African descent (especially African Nova Scotians), women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.
Posting Detail Information
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Open Date 06/15/2022
- Close Date 06/29/2022