Data Engineer (2022-0107)
ICTC’s Digital Think Tank is looking for a Data Engineer with cloud experience to join their team on a 12-month contract. The job of the Data Engineer is to perform in a demanding, high-energy environment requiring flexibility and innovative technical solutions to the challenges of expanding and optimizing our data and cloud-based data pipeline architecture, data models, and optimizing ETL data flows and collections for cross-functional teams and projects.
If you are an experienced cloud-based data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up, this could be the role for you! The role reports to the Director of Data Science.
What will you be doing?
- Creating and maintaining optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Identifying, designing, and implementing internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, assessing new enabling technologies.
- Optimally extracting, transforming, and loading data from a wide variety of data sources using PostgreSQL/SQL and Google Cloud data technologies.
- Collaborating with the team to decide on which tools and strategies to use within specific data integration scenarios.
- Working with ICTC team members to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
Do you have the following knowledge?
- Minimum 2+ years of experience working in the data engineering field.
- Proficiency in SQL languages.
- Strong knowledge of Python and PHP languages.
- Strong knowledge of and experience working with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Prior working experience on any workflow management tool (Preferably Airflow).
- Experience in optimization of high-volume ETL processes.
- Experience with any of the popular Clouds (GCP, AWS, Azure).
- Solid data modelling skills.
- Good knowledge of popular data standards and formats (e.g, JSON, XML, GeoJSON, etc)
- Google GCP data platform (Dataflow, Dataprep, Cloud Composer, BigIGQuery, CloudSQL) knowledge/experience, or knowledge of the equivalent open-source toolset behind those products.
What we are looking for!
- Ability to quickly learn new data tools and techniques
- A self-motivated team player, comfortable working in a fast paced, exciting environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members and share data tools and techniques to help build ICTC’s data capabilities
- Effective writing, speaking, presenting and active listening skills.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate with management, team members, vendors, clients and partners where applicable.
- Ability to work with remote teams across Canada, receive feedback, and shift according to priorities.
- Ability to multitask and work on multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Ethical: Can you work with confidential information, as this role requires a high level of integrity, sound judgement/confidentiality and ethical compliance.
- Dependable: Do you have a high degree of reliability, organization and accountability, in order to meet project/funder deliverable requirements?
- Agile: Are you open to change, constantly evolving requirements, ongoing feedback focusing on quality and possessing the ability to work with agile teams across Canada?
- Natural Leader: Do you innovate? Do you look at determining a way forward where there may be no guiding precedent, working with ambiguity, planning and evaluating own work with little supervision, and identifying opportunities to advance ICTC’s mandate?
- Driven / Creative: Do you have a strong capacity for self-motivation, initiative, and a desire to exceed expectations?
- Collaborative: Are you able to work with and through others in order to achieve results? Do you have the ability to understand others’ needs and perspectives, share information, communicate updates in order and contribute effectively to help the team reach its goals?
- Professional: Are you able to present yourself and ICTC in a professional manner, maintaining composure and holding a positive attitude, and a strong work ethic?
- Continuous Learner: Do you have a commitment to professional development, a desire to understand ICT trends and the key factors driving change across all industries?
- Champion for Diversity and Inclusion: Do you have a commitment to diversity and inclusion and an understanding of the issues and challenges faced by diverse groups in order to contribute to a fair and equitable working environment?
- An entrepreneurial organization committed to ensuring Canada’s competitive advantage in a digital economy.
- Fast-paced environment, managing multiple priorities with competing deadlines.
- A diverse and multi-disciplinary team, tackling a variety of topics simultaneously.
- Work is performed remotely, but may eventually move to a hybrid model when safe.
- On rare occasions, weekend and evening work may be required
- When safe to do so, some travel may be required.
Remote, Canada. Preference will be given to Halifax, Montreal, Calgary, and Victoria
12-month term with benefits paid vacation/ personal time and RRSP contribution.
The Information and Communications Technology Council (ICTC) is a not-for-profit national centre of expertise for the digital economy. We are the trusted source for evidence-based policy advice, forward-looking research, and creative capacity-building programs for the digital economy.
OUR MISSION IS TO: Strengthen Canada’s digital advantage in a global economy
OUR VISION IS TO: Foster globally competitive Canadian industries and a prosperous society empowered by innovative digital solutions.
ICTC is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.