Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We are looking for a Data Engineer, Analytics to join our growing Data organization and support the Analytics squad. The squad’s main focus is to partner with all of Wattpad’s business units and product squads, to build ad-hoc reporting to metrics creation to forecasting and predictive insights projects. The goal is to advocate for and facilitate data-informed decision-making throughout the organization.
In this role, you will partner with data engineers, analysts and scientists. You will develop solutions and build analytics infrastructure to deliver trusted data. Data is critical to how we make decisions at Wattpad and you will play a key role in helping Wattpad continue to scale!
What you’ll do:
- Build and own analytics infrastructure that delivers good quality data, reliably
- Collaborate with data engineers to build robust, scalable data ingestion pipelines
- Develop complex data models and transformations that standardize analytics products
- Provide technical leadership on data solutions that are forward looking
- Establish best practices for data warehousing
- Evaluate new tools, build prototypes and be an advocate for modern, scalable data infrastructure
Who you are:
- You have solid experience in designing schemas and data models for use in transformation and BI tools
- You are comfortable building ETL/ELT flows that extract data from various systems
- You have a good understanding of data engineering best practices (batch data processing, streaming, etc.)
- You understand software engineering fundamentals and principles
- You are comfortable leading data architecture and design discussions
- You have curiosity towards experimenting with new data tools/methods and are abreast with the latest trends in data
Bonus points for:
- You have delivered analytics projects that utilize statistical techniques and machine learning methods
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary
- Medical insurance
- RRSP matching
- Annual bonus
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals, including a learning and development budget for conferences.
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours
- Subsidized gym membership for you and your family
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.