Engineering Manager, Platform & Infrastructure
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
It’s been an exciting time of growth, change and development for Wattpad. We are expanding our largest team – engineering and data – and with this growth comes the need to expand our team management. Engineering Managers are part of the Engineering Leadership Team at Wattpad; they play a big role day to day to ensure their team has the skills they need to be successful; through hiring, growth and development of individuals. As an Engineering Manager, you will have a direct impact in shaping the engineering ethos at Wattpad, a voice within the department leadership and stewarding the growth of a team of diverse engineers and data practitioners.
We are hiring an Engineering Manager for one of our platform engineering teams. Platform engineering teams build capabilities and evolve our technology. The team mandate is to increase the effectiveness of our engineers through optimizing our systems and creating internal tools and processes. Our Platform, Infrastructure and Enablement team’s main focus is to deliver, maintain, improve and build best in class platforms and infrastructure to support the many product building squads at Wattpad.
With 90M users (and growing), this team is working to solve challenging problems in architecture, platform thinking, API design and migration strategies. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about solving these problems and who is ready to dive deep into questions around stability, scalability, cost of ownership, and security.
The Engineering Manager position requires a history of building high performing teams, deep technical expertise, and leadership skills.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead a team of 5-10 engineers and play an active role in hiring across the team
- Ensure the team is high performing, with a healthy, inclusive and collaborative culture
- Coach engineers on the team and guide them through a fulfilling career
- Contribute to the technology strategy by guiding and shepherding the technical architecture
- Maintain high quality standards, especially with technology, and foster a culture of long-term thinking and innovation
- Help support and unblock the team in delivering on its goals; you will oversee the technical scoping and planning for the team, and lead sprint rituals such as daily scrum and retrospectives
- Work alongside a technical product manager to provide leadership, guidance and direction for the team
- Be enthusiastic and embrace Wattpad’s values: #teamwork, #builditforward, #trailblazer, #playtowin, #resourceful, #inclusive, #userobsessed
What we’re looking for:
- 2+ years of experience building and leading successful engineering teams
- 5+ years of experience in a prior software development role
- Experience leading and guiding large-scale technical projects
- A strong technical background in order to make well informed decisions
- An effective communicator that can translate complex technical concepts to various audiences
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and multiple stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or related field
Bonus points for:
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies:
- Data: Kafka, Spark, Redshift, Luigi/Airflow for task coordination, Glue as a Hive metastore
- Backend: Go, Python, Node.js, PHP, MySQL, redis, memcached, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform
- Native Android and/or iOS Applications
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered by us!
- RRSP contributions
- Generous vacation and parental leave top-up
- $200/month transit and home office allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office, and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- A beautiful office in downtown Halifax, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.