Geomatics Technical Assistant
Full-Time Position: Commencing approximately February 1, 2022 and ending approximately June 3, 2022
Application deadline is 11:59PM, January 27, 2022
Competition No. 2021-250(d)
Salary range: $48,171.04 to $56,493.19 annually
For the 2021-22 Academic Year, based on public health guidelines, NSCC plans to return to more in-person learning, supports and services. You may be required to work on campus, remotely or a combination of both as the Academic Year begins and progresses. This will be clarified further upon hire.
What you’ll do
You will provide supervision and assistance in the Geomatics programs. You will arrange for and assist in the set-up of specialized laboratory equipment; demonstration of laboratory techniques and equipment; assistance to students in the laboratory during scheduled laboratory times and at other times as necessary. You will provide support for specialized printing/plotting services; preparation of digital data sets to be used for student assignments. Assistance in laboratories may be face-to-face or in person as required. Other related duties may be assigned by the Academic Chair.
What you’ll need
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand your position as a role model to each of our students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC’s mission. You bring a learning-centered perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a post-secondary certificate in a geomatics discipline from a community college or an undergraduate degree in a geomatics discipline or related field.
- You have a minimum of two years of recent and related occupational experience in applied geomatics theory including mapping, physical geography terrain analysis, air photo interpretation, graphic design, GIS modeling, statistical analysis, and scripting.
- You possess industry experience in a geomatics environment using a variety of hardware and software tools.
- You have experience using handheld and other GNSS hardware.
- You have specific technical occupational knowledge and skill in GIS technology including ESRI products (e.g., ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap) and Open Source (e.g., QGIS).
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite, E-mail, and Learning Management Software.
- Occupational experience that includes a demonstrable ability to program in various languages (e.g., SQL, Python, C#, HTML, CSS, JS) would be considered an asset.
- You are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for staying current with new technology; and you are committed to using technology in advancing your work.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge:
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- You possess excellent interpersonal skills and can interact at all levels of an organization.
- You are known for your superior customer service skills and can create a relationship of trust beyond the immediate interaction.
- Your superb team working skills enable you to contribute positively to a team environment.
- You are known for your problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- You are a strong communicator.
- You possess excellent coordination skills specifically related to liaising with industry partners to assist Geomatics employment opportunities.
- You have proven records and information management skills and abilities specifically related to databases.
- You are dedicated to life-long learning by continuing your education to improve your skills and knowledge.
- You show a strong commitment to community involvement such as volunteering with geomatics associations.