MOBILE GAME DESIGNER
We are seeking a talented Mobile Game Designer to come help us make industry-leading weapons, AI, progression systems, player mechanics, and game modes for mobile games. You will work closely with Game Directors, fellow Designers, and multi-discipline feature teams to help plan, prototype, and build systems that players will enjoy for years to come.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with some of the biggest IP in the industry using quantitative and qualitative data to drive success in F2P games and ensure a great experience for our players. By joining Alpha Dog Games, you are part of a growing studio that believes in work/life balance, equity and diversity. Located on the East Coast in Canada’s ocean playground, Halifax is host to a thriving video game industry with affordable living and cultural amenities featuring sandy beaches, scenic coastal villages, and a bustling night life. If you have a passion for mobile games, this job is for you.
- Enjoy designing mobile games played by millions of players worldwide
- Have a mix of strong economy and marketing knowledge with passion for analytical game design, the free-to-play business model, and future mobile trends
- Understand how games-as-a-service works, how players experience it, and what motivates players stay engaged with the game
- Using iterative design, improve the gameplay experience over time supported by data metrics to make informed decisions on future features
- Assist in collecting data and reading reports which inform the team of the game performance and suggest/design improvements and solutions to the gameplay problems
- Work closely with the game director and design leads to execute on the vision for the game
- Use your creativity to execute on design goals and solve design challenges that push our games forward
- Create detailed and easy to follow design documentation
- Participate in brainstorm sessions, refine, and execute on ideas within a schedule
- Using Unity or Unreal Engine to craft and execute on game features from prototype to shipping quality
- As a feature owner, collaborate with artists, engineers and other designers to execute on design implementation and problem solving
- Collaborate and provide feedback to leadership and other members of the team to continuously improve our products
- Work with directors and leads as we review the success of current systems and initiatives as well as brainstorm new solutions
- In-depth knowledge of mobile free-to-play games and trends
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to create in-depth design docs for software engineers
- Experience working with a variety of established game toolsets
- Experience working in a collaborative environment with cross disciplinary groups
- Ability to work proactively as part of a team
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to present that information to audiences
- Prefer a minimum of 3 years of experience working in a design capacity on mobile games
- Prefer experience shipping a mobile game or patching/maintaining a live game
- Candidate must be willing to take a short design test
- Passion for playing video games across multiple platforms – specifically mobile games and staying up to date on popular trends
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.