Department: Science Education
Supervisor: Manager, Science Education
Position Category: Full Time
Application deadline: As soon as possible
Note: The position is subject to the terms and conditions of a collective agreement between Unifor and Discovery Centre
Discovery Centre is seeking a dynamic Science Educator to develop and deliver creative, science programming for classrooms and informal settings across the province and for virtual learners through a variety of media. The Science Educator will be responsible for ensuring learners of all ages develop their skills and literacy in important STEAM subjects through engaging lesson planning, facilitation, and the implementation of program evaluation tools. The Science Educator will work collaboratively with the entire Discovery Centre team and with external stakeholders and partners to enhance education in key areas of focus including Climate Change, Health, Energy, and Oceans Sciences, Innovation, and inquiry-based learning. The role will include travel within the province, assisting in program scheduling, reporting, and communicating educational initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works as part of the Science Education team to develop engaging inquiry-based programming that will inspire scientific literacy and encourage skill development in learners of all ages.
- Delivers programming in both virtual settings and through travel to schools and communities across Nova Scotia, upholding Discovery Centre’s mission.
- Schedules outreach programming and contributes to program evaluation in consultation with the Science Education team and partners.
- Liaises with program partners.
- Reports regularly on program initiatives, statistics, and outcomes.
- Assists Science Education and Experience team with key projects, public programming, and registration-based programs (e.g. camps, Discovery on Demand, Professional Learning sessions) as needed. Supports communications related to key programs.
- Ensures the safe and responsible use of chemicals and materials while adhering to departmental safety procedures.
- Ensures the safe operation, refueling, and maintenance of Discovery Centre vehicles
- Stocks, cleans, and maintains supplies and materials and ensuring a clean, safe working environment.
- Produce expense reports and manage Visa reconciliations, keeping of receipts, provide information for invoicing when requested.
- Contributes to the department by performing other duties from time to time (weekend, evening events and programming as needed).
- Affinity for science with a familiarity of inquiry-based learning
- Academic background or demonstrable experience in key areas of focus considered a strong asset (Climate Change, Health, Energy, or Ocean Sciences; Inquiry Based Learning)
- Proficiency in French preferred
- Dynamic teaching and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized
- Experience with Google and MS Office suites and video conferencing platforms
- Standard First Aid Certificate
- Clean driving record
Applications are to emailed to email@example.com . Applicants are to submit their resume, cover letter and references. All applications will be reviewed but only those chosen for interview will be contacted. Please note the position that you are applying for in the subject line of your email application.
Discovery Centre promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and embraces diversity. The Centre is committed to equity in its policies, practices, and programs, supports diversity in its work environment, and ensures that applications for members of underrepresented groups are considered for employment with the Centre.