Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
Wattpad’s Engineering & Data Squads are growing and we’re hiring a number of Mobile Engineers at various seniority levels!
In this high-impact role, your work will have a direct effect on our company’s bottom line. You will spend the bulk of your time on our native Android app implementing and testing new features, improving architecture and performance, building beautiful user interfaces, and writing shareable code that can scale across projects and teams. Wattpad runs on a large distributed system that handles 40k requests every second. Our Android app is mostly written in Kotlin, is modularized, and uses MVVM architecture. You’ll use the latest tools and open-source libraries, and your work will reach a massive global audience: our apps have 130 million total downloads!
If you’ve got a track record in Android development with a broad range of skills and interests, have a passion or background in growth and monetization, and love shipping code at HUGE scale, we’d love to hear from you.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Building a cutting-edge Android app using Kotlin and Java to deliver an amazing subscription experience to millions around the world
- Validating ideas and gaining a deep understanding of user behaviour through frequent A/B testing
- Contributing to our automated test framework to maintain a high-quality codebase
- Working closely with Product Managers and Product Designers to refine the paid value experience; contributing to early discussions involving new paid features and product direction
- Releasing weekly updates to the Google Play Store
- Writing functional unit tests for your code
- Optimizing code and refactoring the current architecture to use new design patterns
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience with native Android development and expertise in mentoring less experienced team members
- Deep understanding of Android frameworks and modern design paradigms
- Strong knowledge of Java and Kotlin
- Experience using Git or other version control systems
- Ability to write effective unit tests
- Eagerness and initiative, you leave the codebase cleaner than you found it
- Sincerely enjoy developing across platforms and technology stacks
Bonus points for:
- Background or experience with growth and monetization initiatives
- Familiarity with Android-specific libraries like Dagger, RxJava or Jetpack components
- Familiarity with Bitrise, Firebase, and Jira
- Entrepreneurial attitude with strong user empathy values
- Published an Android application to Google Play
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary
- Medical insurance
- RRSP matching
- Annual bonus
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals, including a learning and development budget for conferences.
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours
- Subsidized gym membership for you and your family
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.