This is your opportunity to join AXIS Capital – a trusted global provider of specialty lines insurance and reinsurance. We stand apart for our outstanding client service, intelligent risk taking and superior risk adjusted returns for our shareholders. We also proudly maintain an entrepreneurial, disciplined and ethical corporate culture. As a member of AXIS, you join a team that is among the best in the industry.
To support our growth objectives at AXIS, we are investing significantly in our Risk & Actuarial systems through our new Business & Technology Center in Halifax, Nova Scotia. This position is for a Senior Software Developer within the Risk, Pricing and Modeling Center of Excellence (CoE). You will be providing your expertise, critical thinking and creativity to help evolve the Risk and Actuarial ecosystem in new and innovative ways. This position requires the ability to work independently on complex system components, while also collaborating as part of dynamic and agile project teams.
As part of a global team, you will be working with highly-experienced talent to enhance existing solutions and design new ones to deliver and integrate capabilities across (re)insurance pricing, reserving, catastrophe modeling, loss accumulation and exposure management. You will embark on an exciting learning journey, gaining a strong grasp of these domains along with the underpinning mathematical, actuarial and statistical methodologies.
The Senior Developer will be involved throughout the development lifecycle, through requirements analysis, coding, unit testing, system testing, user acceptance testing and warranty phases. Success in this position is largely dependent on the ability to implement, integrate, improve and automate capabilities across the development stack, deliver against roadmaps and ensure business buy-in.
- Contributing to the solution architecture for Risk, Pricing and Modeling solutions, working with AXIS Enterprise Architecture as well as other Domain Leads, CoEs as necessary
- Partnering with vendors, and colleagues from other CoEs and segments, within blended / unified delivery teams, and working across different time zones
- Producing, testing and deploying code / solutions as required
- Contributing to the integration of capabilities into production environments, and managing technical dependencies with other development teams, infrastructure, security etc.
- Supporting the smooth transition of new capabilities from project development teams to the application maintenance team through technical documentation and walk-throughs
- Advocating and evangelizing best practises within the Business & Technology Center such as pair programming, Test Driven Development (TDD), behavioral-driven development (BDD) and Continuous Delivery (CD)
- Working across teams within the Business & Technology Center to share knowledge (through ‘lunch & learns’ etc) and influence development technology roadmaps
Required Skills and Qualifications
Our preferred candidate will have:
- Extensive experience as a full-stack software engineer/developer
- Strong experience with Microsoft development and tooling stacks:
- .NET Core, Web API, MVC
- MS SQL
- Entity Framework
- Commercial experience of industry standards, best practice and development methodologies such as factory pattern, IoC, LINQ, delegates and generics
- Practical experience in branching, merging code, continuous testing and software delivery pipelines and containers using Visual Studio, Test Manager, Azure DevOps, Azure Pipelines or other tools
- Real-life experience with Agile methodologies including SCRUM; experience working with Product Backlogs using Team Foundation Server or Azure DevOps
- The ability to manage APIs, exposing/consuming via Microservices (Rest and SOAP)
- Sound understanding of RDBMS and Data Repositories (SQL Server, MySQL, Azure, noSQL)
- Knowledge of distributed systems and service-oriented architecture
- The ability to collaborate effectively and communicate transparently
- A history of successfully bringing innovative solutions to complex problems
- Experience acting as a primary software developer and/or Integration lead on significant to complex IT projects
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- The ability to learn new technologies as required
Desirable Skills and Qualifications
Additional experience and qualifications that are desirable include:
- Cloud infrastructure and services (including Azure, Azure Service Bus, Data Factory and Data Bricks)
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Physics or Mathematics
- Certified Scrum Professional (CSP) or equivalent experience
- Experience in specialty insurance and reinsurance
- Experience implementing Risk and Actuarial Solutions
- Strong Business Architectural and Process design skills
About AXIS Capital
AXIS Capital are experts in specialty insurance and global reinsurance. They’re inspired by the opportunity to give people and organizations the confidence to take necessary risks in the pursuit of their goals and ambitions. In a world that's ever-changing, companies are more likely to succeed when they act collaboratively and with purpose.
AXIS Capital is motivated to redefine industry standards by applying an innovative and agile approach to today's challenges. By virtue of being a specialty insurer and global reinsurer with deep expertise and a commitment to service, they have the capability to provide a broad range of solutions.