***Open to remote work anywhere in Atlantic Canada***
We offer the opportunity to work with Canada’s largest Information Technology Outsourcing and Management Consulting Company with a true global presence in a fast-paced and energetic atmosphere where your personal and professional growth is accelerated by your desire and sense of commitment. CGI’s continuous growth is a testament to the confidence clients place in them and to the dedication of their professionals. At CGI, all employees are called members because they feel a powerful sense of ownership and accountability. Members at CGI are building their own company- in 100+ offices worldwide. CGI has the global resources, expertise, stability and dedicated professionals needed to achieve results for clients and for members; that’s why an astounding 90 percent of them are CGI shareholders.
We are looking for a Java Developer to join our team. We expect you to have great technical skills but as important, we are looking for someone who can develop a creative solution to a problem by applying critical thinking and past experience. Your role is only limited by your potential.
Your future duties and responsibilities:
- Reporting to the Senior Technical Manager, the successful candidate will:
- Work on a variety of projects and requests related to the Java applications.
- Design, develop, test and troubleshoot Java solutions, impart your subject matter expertise throughout life cycle.
- Participate in complex applications and systems development and programming.
- Take business, Enterprise Architecture, system performance and development standards requirements, then develop functional, technical and user interface designs for an application and/or system.
- Review technical deliverables of other team members for quality throughout the detailed design and development phase, identify gaps or redesign as needed.
- Help to lead the discussion on code structure, code walkthroughs and root cause analysis of incidents and problems.
- Help to maintain overall code quality and code management through the development life cycle using the existing code management tools.
- Adhere to existing processes/standards including the software development lifecycle (SDLC), business technology architecture, risk and production capacity guidelines and escalate issues as required.
- Ensure design leverages existing reusable components, traces back to business requirements, and that new modules are designed with reusability in mind
- Work with team members to prioritize and manage their workload in order to deliver quality results and meet timelines.
- Support a positive work environment that promotes service to business, quality, innovation and teamwork and ensure timely communication of issues/points of interest.
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
Share your credentials, but your relevant experience and knowledge can be just as likely to get our attention. It helps if you have:
- A University degree or a Diploma in IT with equivalent IT experience.
- 7+ years of experience in application development using Java/J2EE. Certification is an asset.
- Demonstrable hands-on experience with both batch and REST services, as well as MyBatis or Hibernate.
- Hands-on experience with Spring and Spring Boot.
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- 5+ years experience in any RDBMS, Oracle preferred, with strong SQL skills.
- Proven ability to mentor team members and provide coaching as required.
- Experience with Agile methodologies to iterate quickly on product changes, developing user stories and working through backlog.
- Knowledge of Cloud is an asset, Azure preferred.
- Hands-on experience with Hadoop-oriented technology (e.g. Python, Oozie, Spark, Talend…) is an asset.
- Traditional Data Warehouse/ETL experience is an asset.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Critical eye for detail.
- Positive attitude.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to see the big picture.
- Able to multitask effectively.
- Proven ability to mentor and coach junior team members.
- Ability to learn and apply new concepts quickly.
- Ability to adapt to constant changes. Sense of innovation, creativity, organization, autonomy and quick adaptation to various technologies.
- Have excellent time management, task planning and prioritization skills.
- Able to adapt quickly to changing client requirements.
- Able to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Enjoy working in a self-teaching, learning organization.
- Ability to build strong relationships with clients and team members.
Java Enterprise Editions JEE
Founded in Canada in 1976, CGI has evolved into the country’s largest IT services provider, serving as a long-term, committed partner to clients in Canada and in more than 40 countries around the world. With more than 11,000 professionals across Canada, we work where our clients do business, providing local responsiveness and accountability that ensure the highest level of service and support. This local presence is backed by the global capabilities of 68,000 professionals, providing the scale and global delivery expertise to support the delivery needs and requirements of our clients.
Major brands across Canada consistently turn to CGI to manage broad, transformative initiatives. We deliver end-to-end services and solutions combined with deep industry experience and have a long track record of achieving the results our clients expect.