We offer the opportunity to work with Canada’s largest Information Technology Outsourcing and Management Consulting Company with a true global presence in a fast-paced and energetic atmosphere where your personal and professional growth is accelerated by your desire and sense of commitment. CGI’s continuous growth is a testament to the confidence clients place in them and to the dedication of their professionals. At CGI, all employees are called members because they feel a powerful sense of ownership and accountability. Members at CGI are building their own company – in 100+ offices worldwide. CGI has the global resources, expertise, stability and dedicated professionals needed to achieve results for clients – and for members; that’s why an astounding 90 percent of them are CGI shareholders.
We’re expanding in Atlantic Canada and we need your skills, enthusiasm, and dedication as part of our team.
As a Middleware and DevOps engineer, you will bring a passion and willingness to learn. This role performs application systems engineering, maintenance, and design and support activities for all business applications. Determine how to best integrate application components for optimal performance and designs the infrastructure layout. Be primarily responsible for the design and administration of the infrastructure directly supporting our client’s software services.
This position enables our client to meet its operational objectives by:
- Designing the service topology required to support the reliability and availability of the client’s business-critical applications.
- Extending the functionality of the host platforms to maximize performance and availability.
- Implementing monitoring solutions that assist in the proactive identification of problems in our client’s production and test software service environment.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Acts as the primary point of contact between the Application Management Services (AMS) and Systems Engineering Services (SES) departments.
- Works with Infrastructure Services to coordinate the management of middleware with operating system and hardware requirements.
- Coordinates maintenance of business applications across platforms.
- Defines system topology for enterprise business services and middleware services.
- Monitors, reports and analyzes metrics to meet or exceed the business’ expectations for availability and performance of critical enterprise services.
- Works with System Engineering Services and Network Engineering to create highly availability, redundant service deployments.
- Maintains documentation that defines and describes the service environment.
- Troubleshoots and provides production support for applications across platforms.
- Provides input to plan, develop and document enterprise recovery plans and disaster recovery guidelines.
- Engages in monitoring and environmental tuning to identify areas where optimization is necessary.
- Defines system requirements for applications.
- Monitors performance tests, approach to performance tests and defines the correct tests to be used.
- Responsible for planning and requirement gathering for corporate and IT only projects.
- Participate on multiple cross-departmental committees.
- Perform root cause analysis on high severity issues.
- Tasks are performed across multiple platforms, must understand dependencies among systems and across departments in IS. Broad experience rather than depth in one specialized area of expertise.
- 24-hour on-call responsibilities.
- Weekend and after-hour work as needed.
- JBoss Application Server – installation and maintenance
- Java Virtual Machine performance tuning.
- Experience with Linux Administration and Shell Scripting
- Experience with 2 or more of the following host platforms:
- WebSphere Application Server
- WebSphere Portal
- Apache Tomcat
- Apache HTTP Server
- Use of OpenShift, Docker or similar tools and technology
Nice To Have
- Experience with Continuous Integration Tools (DevOps Experience)
- Experience with AWS
- Release Management/Environment Management experience
- Required Level Of Education
- A university degree in a relevant discipline and/or a Technical Diploma in IT with minimum of 2 – 4+ years related technical experience
- Listens well and clearly expresses questions to elicit understanding. Actively listens to colleagues and applies information gathered to work assignments.
- Proactively and regularly interacting with others, via written and oral communications.
- Demonstrates positive, respectful and professional communications style in written communications, group meetings, and individual meetings.
- Communicates and escalates issues to peers, team leader/manager, and others, as appropriate.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information to the business.
- Maintain expert level of industry and technical knowledge base.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Founded in Canada in 1976, CGI has evolved into the country’s largest IT services provider, serving as a long-term, committed partner to clients in Canada and in more than 40 countries around the world. With more than 11,000 professionals across Canada, we work where our clients do business, providing local responsiveness and accountability that ensure the highest level of service and support.This local presence is backed by the global capabilities of 68,000 professionals, providing the scale and global delivery expertise to support the delivery needs and requirements of our clients.
Major brands across Canada consistently turn to CGI to manage broad, transformative initiatives. We deliver end-to-end services and solutions combined with deep industry experience, and have a long track record of achieving the results our clients expect.