Now more than ever, the importance of a strong, digital presence is key to Dalhousie’s mission. Reporting to the Associate Director, Digital Marketing Platforms, the Web Marketing Specialist is responsible for managing the quality assurance of web content and user experience (UX) across dal.ca, web author training and engagement, executing search engine optimization (SEO) strategies, advising authors on web content and building/optimizing their sites to deliver on key strategic marketing and business objectives, developing web content, managing top-level sites and assisting with other digital marketing projects as necessary.
- Conduct proactive, regular and thorough reviews of dal.ca webpages to quickly determine and execute on required updates in alignment with Dalhousie brand guidelines, user experience, accessibility and content best practices.
- Collaborate with relevant university web authors to coordinate changes/updates as necessary, elevating outstanding UX, accessibility and content issues to the Digital Marketing Manager and Associate Director, Digital Marketing Platforms when required.
- Research and understand target audiences, users, goals, content and intended brand; oversee site reviews to ensure webpages meet the highest user experience and web quality standards.
- Deliver web authoring training/best practice sessions to members of the university community, including group and one-on-one training sessions on how to use the university’s content management system.
- Ensure dal.ca is optimized for maximum search engine results page (SERP) visibility; in collaboration with Communications, Marketing & Creative
- Services (CMC) colleagues, perform keyword research and build lists of targeted key phrases to support recruitment and reputation efforts, ensuring alignment with AdWords strategy.
- Demonstrate initiative and leadership in developing and editing relevant, meaningful and usability standard-compliant and accessible content, including new content for various Dalhousie webpages/sites, to ensure the accuracy, relevance and broad appeal required to create productive and positive experiences for stakeholders and other site users, and to maintain and influence Dalhousie’s brand reputation working closely with staff, faculty, deans and CMC colleagues.
- Occasional evening and weekend work might be required.
- An undergraduate degree in a related discipline (i.e. marketing, commerce/management, public relations) with three to five years of relevant experience (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required.
- Experience can include work for an organization, agency, and/or freelance assignments.
- Must be highly creative and have experience in identifying target audiences/stories and devising content that engages, informs, and motivates.
- Exceptional communication skills are required, including strong writing abilities, highly developed interpersonal, project management, and leadership skills.
- A strong understanding of SEO best practices and web analytics is required.
- A basic understanding of HTML is required. Experience with Adobe Experience Manager considered an asset.
- The candidate must have the ability to comfortably and consistently act autonomously, exercise discretion, and show good judgment.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate proficiency in Dalhousie’s core and leadership competencies (https://www.dal.ca/dept/leaders.html), in particular:
- Respect & Inclusion
- Knowledge & Thinking Skills
Apply online by 11:59 pm AST on June 14, 2021, here: https://dal.peopleadmin.ca/postings/6318
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
Applications from current university employees and external candidates are assessed concurrently. Current university employees will be given special consideration.
We sincerely appreciate all applications and note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly by the hiring department or Human Resources.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.
About Dalhousie University
Located in Halifax, NS, Dalhousie offers students a wealth of choice and flexible degree programs in one of Canada's leading research institutions.