Reporting to the Senior Software Developer, the Web Developer will contribute to the creation of a web-based research software platform for ocean science. Some web applications will use pre-trained deep learning models developed by the Data Analytics team, while others will develop and train their own models through a user-friendly layer built on top of existing data analytics and machine learning frameworks. The platform will host advanced analytics and visualization tools based on deep learning that will support researchers in their efforts to study and protect the oceans. Research applications include passive acoustic monitoring of marine mammals (e.g. endangered whales), monitoring of underwater noise pollution, and acoustic tracking of fish.
- Develop web applications that meet the requirements for serving users at different technical levels, as defined by the Team Leader.
- Communicate with the System Administrator to define deployment requirements.
- Follow data exchange protocols defined by the Data Management Team.
- Work closely with other Web Developers, Data Managers and Machine Learning Developers.
- Write modular, well-documented and organized software that can be packaged, open-sourced and reused.
The successful applicant will work remotely through the period of COVID restrictions. After restrictions are lifted, the successful applicant may work on campus or continue to work remotely, as agreed by all parties based on operational requirements.
A minimum of 3 years of related experience is required. The related experience will include three years of experience developing software, including python and object orientation, and one year of experience with each of the Django frameworks and React.js. Must have demonstrable experience producing modular and reusable software, experience with version control, git, and GitLab (or similar), and experience with REST APIs and Django’s RESTful framework. Familiarity with microservices would be an asset.
About Dalhousie University
Located in Halifax, NS, Dalhousie offers students a wealth of choice and flexible degree programs in one of Canada's leading research institutions.