Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We are looking for a Data Engineer passionate about solving hard technical problems, loves to create data models, and thrives in a product focused environment. If this is you, keep reading!
This position is for Wattpad’s Platform, Infrastructure and Enablement Team. The vision of this team is to build technology that will create capabilities to understand stories and users, and accelerate our ability to innovate at Wattpad. We believe in a team culture that enables empowered engineers to fix problems in the way that they see fit.
What You Will Be Doing
- Coordinate with data scientists, data analysts, software developers and product managers to design and evolve our existing architecture, improving the reliability and performance of our data infrastructure.
- Build, troubleshoot and scale high traffic distributed systems processing hundreds of thousands of messages per second in real time
- Develop and maintain reliable ETL pipelines to help power analytical needs
- Provide input into the design and development of our in-house A/B testing framework to maximize effectiveness of experiments
- Evangelize data-driven decision making across the organization through data expertise
What we’re looking for:
- Ability to write high-quality code in a programming language (bonus if it’s in Python or Go)
- Strong understanding of database fundamentals
- Experience with batch processing and streaming systems like Hive, Pig and Kafka
- Experience with Spark and Scala is a plus
- A critical thinker and possess creative problem solving skills
- Quantitative skills, ability to think analytically, and strong attention to details
- A desire to contribute to the broader development community
What We Offer
- Competitive salary
- Medical insurance
- RRSP matching
- Annual bonus
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals, including a learning and development budget for conferences.
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours
- Subsidized gym membership for you and your family
- Downtown Halifax, NS location, with easy access to transit
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada as a precondition of employment.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
Wattpad. Where Stories Live.
Wattpad’s vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. The global multi-platform entertainment company uses the power of community and technology to enable the creation and distribution of content across a variety of formats. Its flagship app, Wattpad, is home to a community of more than 90 million people who spend over 23 billion minutes a month engaged in original stories. Tap by Wattpad, the company’s second storytelling product, offers short, chat-based stories in over a dozen languages. Wattpad Studios co-produces stories for film, television, digital and print, together with industry partners. Wattpad Brand Partnerships offers a full suite of advertising products to help brands build deep engagement with Gen Z consumers