Title: Director of Operations
Employment Type: Full-time – Permanent
Reports to: President & CEO
Location: 1301-1809 Barrington Street, Halifax, NS
Start Date: October 2019
If you’re passionate about seeing our tech sector thrive, and are seeking a new opportunity – look no further.
Over the last year, Digital Nova Scotia (DNS) has seen tremendous growth. Our team has doubled and our projects have expanded across Nova Scotia, and we have no plans on slowing down. With the integration of tech into every sector and the maturing of our industry, the opportunities are abundant and we’re looking for someone to help us leverage them.
We’re looking for a forward-thinking, innovative, and strategic Director of Operations to support the advancement of Digital Nova Scotia. The rapidly changing, ever-evolving, fast-paced tech sector will keep you on your toes, but you’ll work closely with the Digital Nova Scotia team to ensure we deliver high-quality projects, programs, and services for our members and industry. P.S. We’re a close team here at Digital Nova Scotia, so being a good team player, strong communicator and collaborator is a must.
What does the role look like?
Business Development (40%)
- Proactively explore, source, cultivate, and advise on current and new project and partnership opportunities locally, regionally, and nationally
- Assess, evaluate, and negotiate all relevant project/program proposals, agreements, and contracts in collaboration with the President & CEO
- Oversee project sustainability and expansions, advance organizational growth and promote financial health and performance
- Transform qualified opportunities into actionable projects delivered through funding and grant sources
- Identify, foster, and provide value to relevant relationships with external partners, Government, and community stakeholders
- Maintain a high personal visibility within the provincial ICT & digital technology community on behalf of Digital Nova Scotia, and be the spokesperson on relevant topics as required
Project Management (40%)
- Oversee the Projects Team; recruit, supervise, support, and coach employees, ensuring the consistent and quality execution of deliverables associated with all projects
- Work cross-functionally with the President & CEO and the Executive Team to ensure overall project performance and opportunities align with the organization’s objectives and goals
- Engage with the Board Executive and Board of Directors on relevant matters, and in collaboration with the President & CEO
- Act as a key point of contact for Digital Nova Scotia’s project and research initiatives
- Regularly prepare and advise on cash-flow, annual budgets, and financial projections in collaboration with the President & CEO and Bookkeeper
- Proactively identify and advise on financial opportunities to support and advance the organization’s financial health
- Liaise with the Board Treasurer to ensure all relevant financial data is up-to-date and available as required
Here’s what we need:
- Post secondary education with 7 + years experience in operations or project management, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proven financial knowledge and experience managing teams and general human resources
- Motivated and driven, able to work effectively and efficiently with a growing team
- Valid driver’s license – provincial travel is an integral component of the role
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and experience with accounting software
Here’s what we see as assets for the role:
- Knowledge of and passion for the Nova Scotia tech community
- Experience working on government-funded projects and with government bodies
Competencies essential to this position:
- Leadership abilities – to drive results both as a team and as an organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication – to develop successful proposals and contracts
- Proven people manager – to manage human resource functions
- Strong relationship builder – to establish and build positive stakeholder relations
- Organized and adaptable – to manage and prioritize daily tasks when faced with competing demands
- Strategic and analytical – to evaluate work flows, processes and operational efficiencies
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and résumé in one PDF file to email@example.com. While we would like to thank all candidates for expressing interest, please note only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline to apply: September 19, 2019
About Digital Nova Scotia
Digital Nova Scotia (DNS) is the industry association for Nova Scotia’s $2.5 billion ICT and digital technologies sector. Engaging industry stakeholders and over 140 members, we strive to connect our digital community through impactful programs, networking opportunities, industry events and innovative initiatives. DNS proudly supports business growth, skills development and capacity building, celebrates sector successes, facilitates connections between industry and talent, and drives the province’s digital economy. We are located in the beautiful downtown Halifax.