The Exhibit Technician works within the Exhibits and Facilities team to fabricate, install, maintain, and repair exhibits within Discovery Centre’s permanent and temporary galleries while providing support to other departments in the fulfillment of Discovery Centre’s mission. The primary focus of the technician is the daily care, maintenance, and repair of exhibit components with the goal of ensuring safe, engaging experiences for all of Discovery Centre’s visitors. The candidate must have experience taking initiative – analyzing problems and implementing appropriate solutions. Ideally, the candidate would be comfortable working with both physical systems (mechanical, woodworking, etc.) and digital interactives (Mac/PC hardware, various software applications).
Summary of Responsibilities
- Performs regular inspection and maintenance of all exhibits; keeps all exhibit-related equipment in good working order; makes repairs to exhibits and recommends major repairs by services outside the organization.
- Keeps all exhibit-related equipment in good working order.
- Maintains orderly work and storage spaces.
- Maintains accurate inventory of all equipment assigned to the fabrication shop, cases, and other exhibits resources.
- Researches, recommends, orders and purchases equipment and supplies, as needed, for projects, according to Discovery Centre’s purchasing practices.
Exhibit fabrication and installation:
- Constructs install and de-installs temporary and permanent exhibits. Tasks may include protecting floors and surfaces; patching and painting walls; ordering related supplies and materials; packing and unpacking exhibit components; handling museum objects; adjusting lighting; installing cases, exhibit graphics, and labels; creating or modifying mounts and fixtures; and supporting multi-media components.
- Mounts exhibit labels, panels, and signs.
- Ensures that appropriate safety precautions are adhered to, and that exhibit fabrication and installation meet the Nova Scotia Health and Safety standards and applicable regulations.
- Assists with special events setup/breakdown.
- Assists with building maintenance and repairs as required.
- Serves on departmental committees as assigned.
- Adheres to and maintains up-to-date OHS policy and procedures and participates in training as required.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
The Exhibits Department draws on skills from many backgrounds. Our team’s skill set is diverse, and each member contributes according to their own unique abilities and experience. The ideal candidate would have many, but not necessarily all the following skills and may have other skills that are valuable to the department which has not been mentioned:
- Post-secondary education in a relevant technical field is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of power and hand tools as they relate to basic carpentry techniques, simple mechanical systems, and basic electrical wiring.
- Basic understanding of audio-visual equipment, with an aptitude for learning new skills in maintaining specialized systems.
- Computer literate –hardware and software – ideally within both a Mac and PC environment
- Ability to read and understand measured technical drawings.
- Ability to perform work duties/responsibilities for extended periods of time; may include standing, walking, and lifting more than 50lbs.
- Detail-oriented and a commitment to quality of work and finish.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to interact courteously with visitors and staff.
- Prior experience in museum/gallery or tradeshow exhibit fabrication a plus.
About Discovery Centre
Located in downtown Halifax offering three floors of interactive fun and education through permanent and temporary exhibits, HD movies, live science shows and many special events and outreach activities. The Discovery Centre is an invaluable resource for families looking to spend quality time with their children, or for schools and groups looking to provide a quality educational opportunity for their students or members.