Job Title: Senior Manager, Financial Reporting
Business Unit: Emera Finance
Location: Halifax, NS
Type of Employment: Permanent, Full time
Start date: Immediately
Why Join Emera?
Emera is a North American energy leader. Regulated utilities are core to our business, but we’re also working in transmission projects, marketing and trading, contracted generation, asset management, utility services, pipelines, and renewable technology development.
Our ability to serve more customers in more places is thanks to the commitment of our 7,100 employees in Canada, the USA, and the Caribbean. As we grow, we’re excited to welcome new team members who are committed to our purpose and our approach to business.
Emera values people who believe that safety and health, relationships, and excellence are integral to how we work. In return, we value the diversity of our people and invest in their growth through:
- competitive compensation packages: including a comprehensive pension and benefits plan and employer-sponsored saving plans
- opportunities for career growth: including a strategic focus on employee development plans, opportunities to advance within and between our affiliate companies and, sponsored education programs
- giving back to communities: including corporate investments in the places where our people live and work; employee dollars-for-doers and fundraising-matching programs and, scholarships for children of employees
Reporting to the Corporate Controller, Emera Finance, you will be a key member of the Emera Finance team. The Senior Manager, Financial Reporting leads and manages a team of professional accountants and is responsible for the timely and accurate preparation of Emera’s internal and external consolidated financial reporting requirements.
You are a financial thought leader and will help develop and maintain financial reporting policies and processes while fostering continuous improvement, effectiveness, and efficiency. You build strong collaborative relationships with business units, operating subsidiaries, external professional services firms, and the senior executive leadership team, ensuring the highest standards of service. This role is cross-functional and requires you to work closely with various business units and operations across the Emera enterprise in a variety of jurisdictions.
Key elements of the role include:
- Responsible for the timely and accurate completion of quarterly and annual MD&A and financial statements in a multi-jurisdictional, publicly traded reporting environment under USGAAP;
- Responsible for monthly consolidated internal financial reporting;
- Review and contribution to other external reports with financial disclosures prepared outside of the Finance group, including: Annual Information Form, Annual Report, Sustainability report, Management Information Circular and any securities or prospectus filings;
- Responsible for various Audit Committee and Disclosure Committee reports and presentations;
- Liaising with Emera’s senior executive leadership team and affiliates on disclosure work and wording for external MD&A and financial statements;
- Ensuring consistency of disclosure across all affiliates external reporting requirements;
- Responsible for financial disclosure research and the continuous improvement of the MD&A and financial statements;
- Maintaining strong technical knowledgeable of USGAAP, disclosure requirements and current industry practices to provide superior financial expertise;
- Maintaining an effective working relationship and assisting in the management of Emera’s external auditors on financial reporting policies, disclosures and other matters;
- Leading and developing the financial reporting team;
- Development and oversight of financial reporting process improvement projects, and coordinating with stakeholders to implement; and
- Ensuring compliance with internal control requirements.
Skills, Capabilities and Experience:
As the ideal candidate, you will have a successful track record and extensive experience in all financial reporting techniques and processes, as well as the ability to communicate financial information in a clear and concise manner.
You are an exceptional people leader with a demonstrated ability to create and promote a climate of pride, commitment, and participation.
The successful candidate will be a CPA, have a post-secondary degree in a relevant field and have at least 8 years of experience in a relevant financial reporting function (or related experience).
Other skills and capabilities include:
- Excellent understanding of accounting principles and an ability to understand financial statements;
- Understanding of disclosure requirements for MD&A and financial statements under USGAAP and in compliance with SEC and OSC;
- Experience working in a public company;
- Ability to meet deadlines and ensure disclosures are accurate;
- Strong business and financial acumen, problem solving and analytical skills;
- Proven leadership capabilities combined with exceptional interpersonal skills to help develop and maintain strong relationships and networks across the organization;
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail, while working under pressure to meet tight deadlines; and
- Well-developed project management abilities, including planning, organizing, and prioritizing tasks for the financial reporting team.
The Senior Manager, Financial Reporting will uphold the highest standards of discretion and confidentiality and exercise good judgment on a daily basis. Experience working with the energy sector would be considered an asset, as would an in depth understanding of US GAAP and public company reporting and disclosure requirements.
At Emera, our employees are our greatest strength. Our Leadership Competencies set standards that advance our business strategy, deliver results for customers, and provide career development for employees. We expect members of our leadership team to implement safety, health, and environmental standards. The successful candidate will be a visible leader who cultivates innovation and supports change to ensure the business continually evolves. Furthermore, they will build strong, collaborative relationships that achieve results. The Senior Manager, Financial Reporting will encourage others to speak about ethical concerns, listen when issues are brought forward, and take action to address any issues. Lastly, they will motivate their team to perform at higher levels and deliver exceptional service to customer as well as set goals for their department and seek opportunities to build strategic partnerships with others.
Reports to: Corporate Controller, Emera Finance
Form of Application: To apply, please click on the APPLY button at the end of the job posting, complete all required information fields, and copy and paste your cover letter and resume into the online form.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Application Deadline: We encourage you to apply at your earliest opportunity but no later than September 26, 2021. Late applications may not receive consideration.
Recruitment and Promotion Policy: When filling vacant positions, we are determined to hire the best candidates available. We are committed to providing employees with a fair and equal opportunity to compete for jobs. Hiring and promotion of employees is based on skills, capabilities, knowledge and demonstrated abilities.
We value diversity in the workplace and strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including members of the visible minority community, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and women in non-traditional roles. Applicants from these designated groups wishing to self-identify may do so through a series of questions in the online application process.
We provide 95 per cent of the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity in Nova Scotia, and serve 500,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers across the province. Our 1,700 dedicated, safety-focused employees help manage $4.1billion worth of generation, transmission and distribution assets and produce more than 10,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year. We use a fuel mix including hydro, tidal, wind, coal, oil, biomass and natural gas to generate electricity. Our facilities can generate as much as 2,453 megawatts of electricity that is delivered across 32,000 km of transmission and distribution lines throughout Nova Scotia.