Halifax Partnership is seeking a Director, Innovation Halifax. Reporting to the President and CEO, this new role will be responsible for leading the development and implementation of the 2021-23 Innovation Halifax Program focused on:
- Connecting Halifax start-ups and scaleups to programming and initiatives that will help increase their resiliency and competitiveness.
- Enhancing collaboration between Halifax start-ups and established businesses.
- Identify and share the needs, gaps, and opportunities for co-creation spaces to support start-ups and scale-ups continued growth and success.
- Raising awareness of the Halifax Innovation District’s assets and value proposition.
- Leading and managing the day-to-day operations of the Halifax Innovation Outpost (housed at Volta), including:
- Supporting the growth of start-ups and scaleups by helping founders pilot, evolve, and bring products and services to market through the City as a Living Lab initiative.
- Addressing social, civic, and environmental challenges in the pursuit of a more livable, inclusive, sustainable, and innovative city.
- Advancing the role of innovation within our city and municipal government.
The Nova Scotia Department of Inclusive Economic Growth, Halifax Regional Municipality and Halifax Partnership provides funding support for this work.
The individual will lead, guide, and direct the Halifax Partnership’s Innovation Halifax Program, including:
- Overall planning, management, and delivery of the Program, including establishing strong and effective working relationships with the Halifax start-up community, Innovation District partners and key public and private stakeholders (local, national, and international).
- Lead the day-to-day operations, program delivery and initiatives of the Halifax Innovation Outpost. This includes working collaboratively through the Outpost to identify/pilot innovative opportunities that will accelerate the goals of HalifACT, Halifax’s comprehensive climate action plan.
- Develop and launch Halifax Partnership’s Corporate Meets Startup Connector Pilot Program aimed at connecting established companies to Halifax start-ups to identify and collaborate on innovative solutions that address company challenges.
- Direct and manage Halifax Partnership’s Account Executive/outreach to Halifax start-ups and scaleups and help make connections to private and public sector resources needed to accelerate their growth.
- Manage the process to undertake a Needs Assessment that will identify the gap between what start-ups, scaleups and new companies choosing Halifax to need for working space for the next phase of their growth. Present and share results with key stakeholders and commercial landlords.
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Marketing and Communications develop and implement an Innovation Halifax Communication and
- Engagement action plan focused on raising awareness of Halifax Innovation District’s value proposition and assets and create opportunities for greater engagement amongst start-ups, scaleups and established companies.
- Collaborate with the Province of Nova Scotia’s Innovation Outpost.
- Track, promote, and report on progress on the implementation of the Program’s initiatives and budget.
- Lead the development of a longer-term strategic plan and funding model.
- Represent the Innovation District in interactions with the public and private sector, community leaders, media representatives, and others.
- Establish quarterly performance targets to act as a guideline that enables measurement and tracking in individual and group performance sales.
- Manage services and benefits agreement with Volta.
- Master’s degree in political science, economics, innovation, entrepreneurship, business, and/or related field is preferred; and
- A combination of experience and education may be considered.
- Five+ years relevant experience in a senior leadership capacity.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in project and/or program delivery and governance.
About Halifax Partnership
The Halifax Partnership brings together all three levels of government, industry, post-secondary, and community partners to create and cultivate the necessary relationships for business growth. In collaboration with Halifax Regional Municipality and their many partners, the Halifax Partnership mobilizes and leads the community in executing Halifax's Economic Growth Plan. Working toward an ambitious long-term vision to grow Halifax's population to 550,000 and its GDP to $30 billion by 2031, they help keep, grow, and get business, talent, and investment in Halifax. As a public-private non-profit organization, the Halifax Partnership is available to work with clients on a complimentary basis.