Reporting to the IM/IT Technology and HIE Manager and Team Leads, the IM/IT Senior Systems SQL Database Administrator will be expected to leverage their expertise to partner with IMIT Clinical Applications teams, NSDS, Department of Health, Vendors and Clinicians in order to take part in designing, documenting, and supporting clinical systems and interfaces.
- Monitor service desk queue as well as vendor ticketing systems to ensure client’s issues are handled as expeditiously as possible.
- Setup, manage and maintain SQL Databases.
- Create and implement database maintenance strategies including monitoring and tuning of SQL databases.
- Build SQL Server data models
- Develop and review SQL Queries, stored procedures, views and triggers.
- Transition Microsoft Access databases to SQL environment.
- Upgrade outdated SQL environments to supported versions.
- Provide SQL assistance/support for departmental projects.
- Work with Provincial Database Team to coordinate Upgrades & Patching for SQL Servers
- Develop reports in SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Create and manage documentation of SQL environment
- Degree or diploma in Computer Science or Information Technology, with a specialization in Databases (SQL/Oracle). Consideration may be given to those with equivalent training and relevant experience
- 3-5 years’ experience with supporting & maintaining SQL Databases
- Strong knowledge of SQL database cluster environments
- Strong knowledge of SQL database backup and migration strategies
- Strong knowledge of MS Windows server operating systems
- Strong knowledge and understanding of all MS SQL versions
- Strong understanding of Network Infrastructure
- Experience with planning/implementing High Availability SQL strategies considered and asset
- Ability to simplify difficult issues or complex scenarios and relay to non-technical clients
- Demonstrated experience with leading IT technical implementations
- Experience with clinical application systems support considered an asset
- Certification in IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL), Project Management (PMP) and/or organizational
- change management an asset
- Experience in transformational or process analysis to support change management principles an asset
- Experience with MS Access considered an asset
- Strong technical process and procedural documentation skills considered an asset
- Ability to troubleshoot, document and resolve issues using best practice and knowledge of internal and/or external business processes to improve service
- Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills
- Organizational Skills, high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Understanding of disaster recovery
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
Permanent full time position; 75 hours biweekly
This role operates in a 24/7/365 setting and as a result there is an on call aspect as well after-hours work.
$34.7532 – $43.4414
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualification
- Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Management/Non Union bargaining unit – MGMT/NON-Union position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.