Reporting to the Director, Corporate Services & Compliance, the Office Manager & Board Liaison supports the NSBI Board of Directors’ relations and assists with the functional operations of the office and physical premises of NSBI. This role is responsible to coordinate Board relations and communications involving the Board, including the distribution of briefing material for all Board and committee meetings. The Office Manager & Board Liaison also manages the functional operations including consumables and maintenance of premises-related activities including leaseholds, furniture, equipment, and security. Following internal policies and guidelines, the Office Manager & Board Liaison assists with the procurement of NSBI’s standing offers and the corporate travel provider once procured. This role leads the Receptionist through best management practices and ensures smooth daily operation of the reception desk.
In this role, the successful candidate will:
- Following an agreed-upon schedule, ensure briefing material for all Board and committee meetings is received and uploaded to the Board portal before the Board or committee meeting to allow sufficient time for review by the directors.
- Determine the Board and committee meeting dates for the upcoming calendar year and ensure the proposed dates work within the President & CEO schedule and the schedule for each of the directors.
- Working with the Corporate Secretary or the Director, Corporate Services & Compliance, contribute to running productive Board and committee meetings by creating meeting agendas and distributing to the President & CEO and Board Chair/Committee Chair in advance of the meeting for final approval before posting.
- Working with the Director, Corporate Services & Compliance, assist with follow-up to ensure updated business arising comments/actions are ready for a subsequent board or committee meeting as appropriate.
- Provide invoices to People Services in a timely manner for payment of Board member fees for meeting attendance on a quarterly basis.
- Manage, within an approved limit as may be directed, the expenses for the Board cost center.
- As new Board members are appointed, schedule orientation meetings (initial and follow-up) and attendance at a committee meeting as an observer as part of their orientation and undertake new board member onboarding activities as assigned under internal guidelines.
- Maintain communication between NSBI Executive Management team and the Board of Directors by coordinating incoming and outgoing communications to the Board and its committees.
- Ensure any training opportunities or invitations to attend events are communicated to Board members.
- Ensure effective operations of the NSBI office and physical premises by arranging:
- Maintenance and repairs to furniture and equipment, and premises;
- Purchase and/or leasing of new furniture and office equipment as required, and coordinate the delivery of these goods within the office;
- Coordinate employee office moves; and
- Arrange for return or storage of surplus furniture.
- Purchase consumables in a cost-effective manner.
- Research and obtain quotes for furniture and/or equipment required to resolve ergonomic issues in consultation with People Services, as required.
- Manage the full scope of the security access card system.
- Maintain the relationship with the landlord for any premises maintenance-related issues.
- Assist in the public tender process for the NSBI Standing Offers (when requested).
- Maintain the relationship with the corporate travel provider to manage the account.
- Assist with annual budget preparation and expense management related to NSBI premises.
- Coordinate off-site records storage and retrieval.
- Maintain renewals of subscriptions.
- Ensure effective operations of the reception function including management of the Receptionist position.
- Other duties as required encompassing NSBI Board relations, and office and premises management.
About Nova Scotia Business Inc. (NSBI)
At Nova Scotia Business Inc., we are committed to working towards a strong, thriving, and globally competitive, Nova Scotia. Through attracting global investment to create new jobs across the province and working with companies in all communities to be more successful exporters.
NSBI's mission is to help Nova Scotia businesses across the province grow exports through access to business advisory services, skill development and training to build trade capacity, market intelligence, financing, and support in accessing global markets, with a focus on developing new exporters and attracting innovative, globally competitive companies to establish a business location in Nova Scotia.