Working in a team environment, the primary role of the Research Scientist – Information Technology is to develop Applied Research and Innovation capacity at NSCC in the growing area of digital innovation. You will provide leading-edge expertise and leadership to a portfolio of applied research projects conducted in partnership with business and industries in the private and public sectors. Research outcomes are aimed at advancing the regional IT sector, bettering our communities, creating project-based teaching opportunities; as well as commercializing technologies that result from applied research projects generated by the College.
Reporting to the Director, Applied Research, the Research Scientist – Information Technology will work closely with various stakeholders including other College campuses, schools and departments; industry; provincial and federal governments; educational institutions; and communities. A significant aspect of the role will be identifying cross-disciplinary applied research projects with business, industry and communities, teaching students, and collaborating with faculty with relevant expertise to develop and deliver applied research projects. You will play a key role in developing research directions and capabilities in Information Technology.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion are at the forefront of our thinking at NSCC. We are actively seeking candidates from communities that are underrepresented in the IT Sector.
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand our position as role models to our students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC’s mission. You bring a learning-centred perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate the diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and the sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
MSc (Ph.D. preferred) in Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Analytics, Informatics, or a related discipline, with a background and understanding of Data Science, Human-Technology Interaction, and familiarity with real-world applications of mobile technology, IoT, sensors, automation, machine-learning and other 4th Industrial Revolution concepts.
- Seven (7) years of direct industry, government or community experience in Applied Information Technology research and development.
- Experience partnering with industry, government, funding agencies, and other post-secondary institutions
- Broad knowledge of science and technology associated with working at the multidisciplinary interface between Information Technology and industry/community needs.
- Specific experience with research in data analytics, machine-learning, automation, cybersecurity, and other areas of instruction at NSCC is considered an asset.
Minimum skills and ability:
- Expertise in management and analysis of large datasets.
- Significant expertise in Data-Analytics, IoT, Cybersecurity, High-Performance Computing
- Track record of successful research funding, and knowledge of research funding infrastructure in Nova Scotia
- You have a strong understanding of the Academic fields of Computer Science and Information Technology, along with practical awareness of how knowledge is used in the real world.
- Demonstrated collaboration and experience in applying skills and working with other Applied Research Scientists.
- You have excellent project management skills, and experience in creating research grant proposals.
- You possess knowledge of local stakeholders and funding mechanisms.
- You have experience with applied research in a college environment and teaching at a college level will be considered an asset.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with demonstrated creativity in idea generation and solution implementation.
- Able to leverage research and market insight to drive innovation and competitive advantage.
- Supervisory experience working with multifaceted teams including students, research assistants, project managers, and other research colleagues.
About Nova Scotia Community College
We are Nova Scotia Community College. Our mission is to help “Build Nova Scotia's economy and quality of life through education and innovation.” We offer more than 120 advanced skill programs in five academic schools, serving the whole province through a network of 13 campuses. Fully 86% of our graduates are employed, most in their field of choice; close to 90% have chosen to live and work in Nova Scotia.
NSCC is a modern comprehensive community college that has established itself as Canada’s Portfolio College. This unique foundation is the base from which NSCC delivers educational opportunities that are responsive, value-based and keenly honed to the skills graduates need to enter the workplace.