School of Technology and Environment
Continuing Full Time Position: Commencing approximately October 18, 2021
Application deadline is 11:59PM, October 5, 2021
Competition No. 2021-248 (b)
The salary scale for NSCC Faculty is based on twelve steps that range from $61.653.68 – $91,237.97. New NSCC Faculty may receive up to a maximum of five steps for relevant occupational experience. New NSCC Faculty may receive up to an additional four steps for full-time equivalent years of instructional experience (instructional experience is defined as teaching post-secondary). The maximum a new NSCC Faculty can expect to receive is nine steps or $83,547.17.
For the 2021-22 Academic Year, based on public health guidelines, NSCC plans to return to more in-person learning, supports and services. You may be required to work on campus, remotely or a combination of both as the Academic Year begins and progresses. This will be clarified further upon hire.
What you will be doing…
The Centre of Geographic Sciences (COGS), an international geomatics training centre of the Nova Scotia Community College, offers training at the post-secondary and post-graduate levels. As a member of the School of Technology and Environment faculty team, you will provide instruction in various programs, primarily focusing on surveying, precise positioning, GNSS, and other fieldwork related to the capture of geospatial data. Your areas of instruction will include courses in surveying, geodetic networks, leveling, traversing, construction surveying and other related duties in the collection and presentation of geodetic information. Your work will support fieldwork exercises designed by you and other faculty in the geomatics programs at COGS. You will assist in the assessment of learning, provide consultation, assist in the presentation of related course materials, and provide academic advisement. You will also maintain currency in industry practices.
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand your position as a role model to each of your students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity, and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency, and a belief in NSCC’s mission. You bring a learning-centered perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a Geomatics Engineering Technology diploma from a recognized institution. Being a registered Professional Land Surveyor would be considered an asset.
- You have a minimum of five years of recent and related occupational experience in the planning and collection of geodetic information, including leveling, traversing, GNSS network design, and construction surveying.
- You possess a strong background in geomatics theory and applications, specifically geodetic network data collection and processing and carrier phase GNSS technologies.
- Occupational experience that includes experience in a supervisory capacity; evaluating, monitoring, assessments and advising will be considered an asset.
- You have specific technical occupational knowledge and skill in legal land surveying, and you have worked in construction areas where you have applied geomatics knowledge, tools and technologies
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite, E-mail, and data presentation tools such as CAD and GIS tools
- You possess basic internet skills to search for information coupled with internet information skills to evaluate the information you find. Above all, you are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology in support of an exceptional student experience
- You have demonstrated experience liaising with business and industry in your field
- Ideally, you have related experience in delivery of educational programs or training to adults
- You have knowledge and experience in applying WHMIS, Occupational Health and Safety and occupation-specific safety practices
Relevant Skills and Knowledge
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- You possess excellent presentation skills and are able to facilitate content effectively and engagingly to a variety of audiences
- You are known for your superior interpersonal skills and are able to effectively manage interpersonal relationships and issues
- Your superb team building skills will enable you to develop a positive classroom dynamic and productive collegial relationships
- Your commitment to excellence, to life-long learning and to community involvement make you an ideal candidate for Faculty at NSCC
Work With Us
- You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia’s economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
- You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
- You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publicly accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
- You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. NSCC campuses are located on the traditional territory of the Mi’kmaq People. Nova Scotia Community
- College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
As a condition of employment, Faculty at NSCC must complete a two-year (part-time) adult education program delivered by NSCC. This adult education program is a significant investment on the part of NSCC in the learning and development of new employees. To achieve regular status; all probationary, full or part-time Faculty of the College must successfully complete the program within their probationary period. Term full-time Faculty whose term appointment is twelve or more months are also required to participate in this program.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner. Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact David Meister, HR Generalist at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here: https://www.nscc.ca/about_nscc/policies_procedures/index.asp.
To apply for College jobs, click on the Apply Now button. First time users will be asked to set up an account with a username and password. There are three parts to your NSCC application:
Your Profile. You can import your resume or your LinkedIn profile to help populate your profile (click Import Options, top right) or you can complete the profile manually. One thing to note if you are using a resume or LinkedIn; they may not import synchronously with the profile and you may still need to make some manual adjustments.
Your Cover Letter and Resume. Towards the bottom of the Application tab, you will see a place to attach or write your cover letter. You will also see a place to attach your resume. Although these two sections say they are optional; they are not optional and are required for a complete NSCC application.
Questions. Next to the Application tab, you will see a Questions tab. We will need you to complete these questions in order to submit your application.
About Nova Scotia Community College
We are Nova Scotia Community College. Our mission is to help “Build Nova Scotia's economy and quality of life through education and innovation.” We offer more than 120 advanced skill programs in five academic schools, serving the whole province through a network of 13 campuses. Fully 86% of our graduates are employed, most in their field of choice; close to 90% have chosen to live and work in Nova Scotia.
NSCC is a modern comprehensive community college that has established itself as Canada’s Portfolio College. This unique foundation is the base from which NSCC delivers educational opportunities that are responsive, value-based and keenly honed to the skills graduates need to enter the workplace.