As a Software Developer (Computer Services Officer 3), you will be part of a multi-disciplinary team working alongside Product Managers, Senior Software Developers, Service Designers, User Researchers and development operations. Software Developers are responsible for taking user research and designs and turning them into real, usable prototypes and services in code.
As the Software Developer, you will participate in the code design and development of new digital products and services. You will also be responsible for the ongoing success and continuous improvement of one or more digital products.
- Making working software;
- Understanding user needs and designing services that meet them;
- Designing user-centered interfaces and transaction flows;
- Writing clean, secure code that is open by default and easy for others to reuse;
- Operating the services they build and identifying issues in production;
- Continuously improving code in response to known defects and emerging user needs;
- Creating and rapidly iterating prototypes to help the wider team learn about user needs for different scenarios or tasks;
- Working with other members of the multi-disciplinary team to turn concepts into user-centered services, and to help promote best practice;
- Contributing to designing interaction patterns and standards, looking for common features across services;
Qualifications and Experience
As an experienced Software Developer, you have a Bachelors Degree in Information Technology plus three (3) years related experience; or graduation from a recognized Information Technology Program + three (3) years and six (6) months related experience;
You will be able to demonstrate with evidence experience:
- Developing prototypes and services guided by user research and a human-centered service design approach;
- Developing software that meets accessibility standards;
- Building code that leverages open standards and embraces leading practices, including the use of open source software where appropriate.
- Developing back-end software using skills in .NET, Java, PHP, Python, and/or C#
- Working directly with front-end code to develop digital products, using skills in HTML, CSS, Java Script, and frameworks such as React or Angular;
- Experience working with a range of databases including both relational and non-relational, open-source, and cloud-native;
- Integrating front and back-end systems that use RESTful web services;
- Working in technical teams in complex environments using an agile delivery methodology;
- Developing services using OpenShift or Microsoft Azure development platforms;
- Designing interactions that take web security into consideration by design;
Please include a cover letter of no more than one page that demonstrates your experience with each of the above. We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
About Nova Scotia Government
The Nova Scotia Digital Service (NSDS) is a new organization within the government of Nova Scotia, with a mission to change the way government interacts with citizens. Our team is large, diverse, and passionate about making a difference in citizens’ lives. We believe in user-centred iterative digital service design, and practice internet-era ways of working.