Nova Scotia Power’s greatest source of energy is our people. In a culture focused on safety, we’re committed to providing exceptional service to our customers and rewarding jobs to our employees. We’re hiring solution-minded people excited to help us grow into the future. We are currently looking to fill the position of Business Analyst.
Reporting to the Manager Solution Development under the Program Management Office, the Business Analyst, will have extensive knowledge and experience in analysis, project execution and business process management. This role will be key to map current business processes to new systems or services and lead the evaluation engagements with IT’s customers for analysis of options, cost-benefit analysis and recommendations.
This role will have a deep understanding of business analysis organization and an understanding of project management, system development lifecycle and business analysis methodology.
- Assesses business requirements and opportunities, formulates options and defines the recommended solution by consulting with business owners and clients, IT support teams, researching industry best practices, evaluating current assets and architecture, and creating and proposing transformation opportunities. Solutions may be business, process, technology and/or service-oriented.
- Conducts and documents analysis for diverse, short and long-term projects related to departmental business and strategic goals.
- Works closely with and assists Project Managers in writing project statements, consulting with sponsors and stakeholders, defining roles and responsibilities of project team members, obtaining sign-offs, assisting with the creation of communication plans and change management plans, organizing meetings, scheduling resources, managing expectations of system owners, presenting results to sponsors and stakeholders, and evaluating the projects with respect to best practices and lessons learned.
- Mentors other team members in the business analysis discipline. Negotiates for business and technical resources. Participates in stakeholder and team meetings. Delegates and coordinates work with other teams. Establishes / Manages competing priorities. Identifies opportunities for cross-departmental or corporate initiatives.
- Leads The Preparation And Documentation Of
- System requirements
- Business cases/opportunity assessments.
- Business process definitions
- Workflow process and data models
- Implementation plans
- Supports testing activities of proposed solutions (technical and business process)
- Assists with business transformation activities resulting from projects or business improvement activities.
- Plans, facilitates and leads workshops with internal and external participants
- Plans, develops and conducts interviews with management and staff of client departments
Skills, Capabilities And Experience
- B.Sc. in Computer Science or similar Information Technology degree
- 3 years experience or an acceptable equivalent.
- A professional Business Analyst Certification is preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of standard business analysis processes and methodologies.
- Sufficient experience to demonstrate the ability to support business units.
- Knowledge of project management methods to actively participate in and support Senior Project Managers in cross-functional projects.
- Ability to problem-solve, make decisions and/or recommendations.
- Knowledge of ITIL processes and standards to implement use and apply these.
- Analytical skills to convert business requirements into business cases/opportunity assessments.
- Ability to collect, evaluate and compress data and information from multiple sources, resolve conflicts and differentiate between actual and required user needs.
- Knowledge of Office software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email and collaboration software to write business cases and/or Opportunity
- Assessment, create reports and spreadsheets.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to clients including negotiation and convincing
- Knowledge and experience with Organizational change management.
- Ability to proactively keep abreast of new emerging technologies and to interview, facilitate working groups and develop strong relationships.
- Experience in user training and implementation of IT solutions.
- Requires excellent interpersonal skills, consensus-building skills, team-building skills and the ability to follow through and complete projects.
Reports to: Solution Development Manager – IT
Form of Application: Click the APPLY button at the end of the online job posting. Complete all required information fields, and copy and paste your covering letter and resume into the online form.
Salary: To commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Must Be Received By: All interested candidates should apply no later than 1st June 2021. Late applications may not receive consideration.
Recruitment and Promotion Policy: When filling vacant positions, we are determined to hire the best candidates available. We’re committed to providing employees with a fair and equal opportunity to compete for jobs. Hiring and promotion of employees are based on skills, capabilities, knowledge and demonstrated abilities.
We value diversity in the workplace and strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including African Nova Scotians and other members of the visible minority community, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and women in non-traditional roles.
Normally, unless otherwise requested in advance, the supervisors of internal candidates selected for an interview will be contacted in order to facilitate the scheduling of the interviews. The supervisor will maintain the confidentiality of the employee’s application.
About Nova Scotia Power
We provide 95 per cent of the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity in Nova Scotia, and serve 500,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers across the province. Our 1,700 dedicated, safety-focused employees help manage $4.1billion worth of generation, transmission and distribution assets and produce more than 10,000 gigawatt-hours of electricity each year. We use a fuel mix including hydro, tidal, wind, coal, oil, biomass and natural gas to generate electricity. Our facilities can generate as much as 2,453 megawatts of electricity that is delivered across 32,000 km of transmission and distribution lines throughout Nova Scotia.