About the job
Job Title: Senior Business Intelligence Developer
Reference Number: 8801
Type of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
Business Unit: Marketing & Trading, Emera Energy
Location: Halifax, NS
Based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Emera Energy is an established and growing energy marketing and trading company in North America. For nearly twenty years we have provided innovative and customized energy management services to our customers and we are trusted by over 350 trading customers across North America. Led by an experienced team of industry executives with a proven track record of success, we currently have more than 70 employees in Canada and the USA.
The business combines a wealth of expertise and experience and technology to harness global, regional, and local market information related to commodities, generation, transmission, gas transportation and storage to realize growth opportunities.
Emera Energy is a wholly owned subsidiary of Emera Inc., a North American leader in the transition to cleaner energy. Emera Inc. has over 7,100 employees in Canada, the USA and the Caribbean and its shares are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (ticker symbol: EMA).
In Return, We Value The Diversity Of Our People And Invest In Their Growth Through
Emera values people who believe that safety and health, relationships, and excellence are integral to how we work.
- Competitive compensation packages: including a comprehensive pension and benefits plan and employer-sponsored saving plans;
- Opportunities for career growth: including a strategic focus on employee development plans, opportunities to advance within and between our affiliate companies and, sponsored education programs;
- Giving back to communities: including corporate investments in the places where our people live and work; employee dollars-for-doers and fundraising matching programs and, scholarships for children of employees.
As a key contributor in the Commercial Analytics and Structuring team, the Senior Business Intelligence Developer will advance Emera Energy’s business intelligence platform and data. As the ideal candidate, you will have the knowledge and experience to transform data into actionable insights about Emera Energy’ s business, markets, customers, and competitors. The Developer works closely with internal and external customers to understand their business requirements and translates this into impactful analyses, visualizations, and reports. The Developer is accountable for report authoring, the overall management of Emera Energy’s proprietary data warehouse (and supporting interfaces), data gateways, Power BI Report Server environment and legacy SSRS reporting environment and other related applications. The Developer will also be responsible for ETL creation/maintenance.
Skills, Capabilities, Education And Experience
As the ideal candidate you recognize yourself in most of the following competencies, and possess or are working towards the desired skills and experience listed below:
- An undergraduate degree in computer sciences or engineering, mathematics, statistics, or another quantitative field with demonstrated understanding of the business intelligence domain. Preference will be given to applicants with a relevant graduate degree;
- Demonstrated effective communication with technical and non-technical staff;
- Preference given to candidates with working knowledge of Microsoft Business Intelligence platform including SSRS, SSIS, SSAS and/or Power BI;
- Preference given to candidates with experience developing complex SQL queries;
- Functional knowledge of Python and key libraries;
- Experience working with Oracle, Microsoft Database Management Systems;
- Ability to relate architectural decisions and recommendations to business needs;
- Preference given to candidates with working knowledge and experience with ETL/data integration;
- Demonstrates a high level of flexibility, adaptability, and the ability to work under tight deadlines or changing needs;
- Demonstrates a strong collaboration orientation with all levels of an organization and within the immediate team;
- Demonstrates a strong level of intellectual curiosity, seeking to understand how the business works.
At Emera, our employees are our greatest strength. Our Leadership Competencies set standards that advance our business strategy, deliver results for customers, and provide career development for employees. As the ideal candidate for this position you speak up on health, safety, and environment issues, and demonstrate a belief that all injuries are preventable. You support flexibility in the workplace and embrace change. You build strong collaborative relationships with a commitment to a respectful, inclusive, and productive work environment while demonstrating integrity and a commitment to operational excellence for our customers. Lastly, we encourage you to proactively ask questions and seek information to understand how your work relates to the business goals and make well informed decisions.
Reports to: Director of Commercial Analytics & Structuring
Remuneration: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Emera Energy offers a comprehensive remuneration package including a competitive salary, potential for an incentive bonus, pension plan, share purchase plan and employee wellness program.
Form of Application: To apply, please click on the blue ‘APPLY NOW’ button in this online job posting, complete all required information fields, and upload your cover letter and resume into one single file.
Application Deadline: All interested candidates should apply no later than September 15 th , 2020. Late applications may not receive consideration
Recruitment and Promotion Policy: When filling vacant positions, we are determined to hire the best candidates available. We are committed to providing employees with a fair and equal opportunity to compete for jobs. Hiring and promotion of employees is based on skills, capabilities, knowledge and demonstrated abilities.
At Emera we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including persons who identify as racially visible, Indigenous, persons with disabilities, women in underrepresented roles and members of the LGBTQ+ community. Applicants from these equity groups may self-identify through the on-line application process. Emera supports candidates and employees with access and accommodation needs.
About Nova Scotia Power
We provide 95 per cent of the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity in Nova Scotia, and serve 500,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers across the province. Our 1,700 dedicated, safety-focused employees help manage $4.1billion worth of generation, transmission and distribution assets and produce more than 10,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year. We use a fuel mix including hydro, tidal, wind, coal, oil, biomass and natural gas to generate electricity. Our facilities can generate as much as 2,453 megawatts of electricity that is delivered across 32,000 km of transmission and distribution lines throughout Nova Scotia.