Nova Scotia Power’s greatest source of energy is our people. In a culture focused on safety, we’re committed to providing exceptional service to our customers and rewarding jobs to our employees. We’re hiring solution-minded people excited to help us grow into the future. We are currently looking to fill the term position of GIS Specialist on our WAM project until September 2023.
The Work and Asset Management (WAM) solution will transform the way NS Power delivers services to its customers. The project will deliver new capabilities and tools for designing, planning, and scheduling work, new mobile tools for field technicians, and upgraded systems and processes to support the delivery of services to customers.
As a member of the Business Integration team on the WAM Project, you will join a dynamic group of professionals leading an enterprise-wide business transformation during this multi-year project and the continuous improvement program that follows.
- Develop a strong understanding of NS Power’s Transmission, Distribution & Delivery operations to enable to ability to effectively conduct analysis of business processes and technology
- Work closely with the utility’s end-users, subject matter experts and technical staff to ensure effective translation of business requirements into system configuration and/or system design specifications
- Perform data analysis to identify business opportunities, understand business impact, or support troubleshooting efforts
- Work with utility staff to identify, analyze, recommend and implement business process optimization opportunities leveraging the WAM technology.
- Participate in the development and delivery of training and job aids for end users.
- Participate in the development of User Acceptance Testing (UAT) test scenarios and test scripts to ensure extensive testing of critical or complex business requirements in the WAM suite.
- Support the investigation and resolution of technical incidents or problems.
- Support the project teams (and project managers) in testing and ensuring that processes they develop are effective and sustainable.
- You will work collaboratively with the WAM project team to develop new tools and processes that process GIS information and incorporate that data into GIS models and reports.
- You will need to communicate with external groups who will be providing information and data while ensuring adequate data quality and content.
- You will assist in the design, maintenance, and support of these tools associated with the project.
- You will ensure work is carried out in a safe and effective manner by observing and ensuring compliance with all Occupational Health and Safety Rules and Regulations. You will be accountable for environmental performance as it relates to the environmental management system processes and initiatives.
Skills, Capabilities and Experience:
A technical diploma in GIS, Cartography, or a related discipline. Experience with geographic information systems is essential. The successful candidate must be proficient working with ESRI ArcGIS software suite. Excellent communication and time management skills are required. You should be self-motivated and able to work well in a team environment. You must possess a valid driver’s license.
At Nova Scotia Power, our employees are our greatest strength. Our Leadership Competencies set standards that advance our business strategy, deliver results for customers, and provide career development for employees. As the ideal candidate for this position, you speak up on health, safety and environmental issues, and demonstrate a belief that all injuries are preventable. You support flexibility in the workplace and embrace change. A GIS Specialist builds strong collaborative relationships with a commitment to a respectful, inclusive and productive work environment while demonstrating integrity and a commitment to operational excellence for our customers. Lastly, we encourage you to proactively ask questions and seek information to understand how your work relates to the business goals and make well-informed decisions.
About Nova Scotia Power
We provide 95 per cent of the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity in Nova Scotia, and serve 500,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers across the province. Our 1,700 dedicated, safety-focused employees help manage $4.1billion worth of generation, transmission and distribution assets and produce more than 10,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year. We use a fuel mix including hydro, tidal, wind, coal, oil, biomass and natural gas to generate electricity. Our facilities can generate as much as 2,453 megawatts of electricity that is delivered across 32,000 km of transmission and distribution lines throughout Nova Scotia.