RBC’s Corporate Systems Technology & Operations (T&O) group provides the technology, innovation and operational excellence required for the delivery of a high-quality experience to internal RBC Capital Markets clients.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Application Support Engineer with the Corporate Systems Risk Support group. . This is a technical IT support role that can be well-complemented by some knowledge of the Capital Markets Risk business.
Support members are expected to be able to understand how an application functions in technical detail in order to diagnose and troubleshoot, rather than depend on scripted troubleshooting scenarios.
This is an opportunity to join an established team as RBC Risk Management undertakes a major modernization process of the business applications and the IT procedures to implement them.
- Rotational after-hours & weekend support is required
- Support personnel are required to carry a cell phone when on call
What will you do?
- Investigates resolves, and reports on medium- to highly complex technical issues requiring business application understanding.
- Works closely with business clients to understand priorities and impact, and provides timely and accurate reports to management and end-users on the status of critical systems processes and reports.
- Proactively identifies and acts on emerging issues (and works with Development teams) to resolve them in the short and long term. Many of these issues require rapid response and the ability to synthesize multiple technical factors quickly in order to arrive at a workaround or solution within hours.
- Is able to learn about multiple applications and technologies and how they interact in order to provide cross-function support. An understanding of how legacy and emerging technologies integrate is required.
- Makes recommendations on process improvements and enhances system and support documentation for lower levels of support (Level 1 and Level 2).
- Coach members of L1 and L2 teams.
- Actively participate in Agile development projects to represent the interests of maintaining Production application stability and adhering to Production readiness standards. Your participation would ensure that projects follow RBC standards for security and audit, supporting System Integration testing, and supporting code promotions and development efforts.
- Work on IT Risk deliverables: participate in DR exercise, help in DR planning and design; interacting with various auditors and make sure that applications in our portfolio function according to published RBC IT Risk Standards.
- Perform some of the above responsibilities after hours and on weekends on a rotational on-call basis.
What do you need to succeed?
- Relational databases: working knowledge of relational database concepts and how to interact with databases using SQL is required. However, this is not a DBA position and we do not have a privileged level of access to our database systems.
- Emerging technologies: experience with Apache Hadoop and its ecosystem, HP Vertica, and/or Teradata, Micro services would be an asset.
- Operating systems: experience with multiple operating systems and the integration of processing across different platforms will make you more effective in this role. UNIX experience is required. However, this is not a system administrator position and we do not have a privileged level of access to our systems. Shell scripting: the ability to read, understand, modify, and write non-trivial UNIX shell scripts is preferred.
- Security: a foundational understanding of sound operating system and file system security practices on the UNIX and Windows platforms would be an asset.
- Data transformation: a lot of the applications we support depend on getting files of varying formats loaded into relational databases for further processing. An understanding of how these ETL tools work will be of significant benefit in this position. An understanding of or interest in working with related technologies such as DataStage and Apache Hive would also be of benefit.
- Job scheduling software: knowledge of how to create and modify job schedules using job scheduling software is required, as most of the applications we support are run using advanced job scheduling software.
Nice To Have
- The ideal candidate would possess some business knowledge in the Capital Markets arena. In this position, it is often essential to be able to express technical issues in business terms, and vice-versa.
- Experience in a risk management environment would be an asset.
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
The opportunity to work on projects that have a genuine, measurable impact: automating manual processes, re-engineering workflows and making financial analysis and reporting faster and more reliable.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, and stock where applicable.
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities. Ability to make a difference and lasting impact.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team.
About RBC Financial Group
Royal Bank of Canada (RY on TSX and NYSE) and its subsidiaries operate under the master brand name RBC.
- We are one of Canada's largest banks and one of the largest banks in the world, based on market capitalization.
- We are one of North America's leading diversified financial services companies and provide personal and commercial banking, wealth management, insurance, investor services and capital markets products and services on a global basis.
- We have over 80,000 full- and part-time employees who serve more than 16 million personal, business, public sector and institutional clients through offices in Canada, the U.S. and 35 other countries.