What is the opportunity?
The Enterprise & International Applications (E&IA) group is looking for Operational & Application Support Engineers and Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) to ensure critical systems of the bank are production-ready, reliable, and fully compliant with regulatory and RBC policies. These positions are available in both junior and senior roles.
The Corporate Systems team in E&IA is responsible for managing and delivering on all IT initiatives for the Group Risk Management function of the bank.
The Finance IT team in E&IA is responsible for managing and delivering on all IT initiatives for the Finance function of the bank.
Operational & Application Support Engineers will be part of a team responsible for maintaining the target uptime, stability, and compliance metrics of these applications. The end goal is to ensure all deployments are made on time and fully tested, and that systems are running, patched, and fully integrated with other components in the RBC ecosystem.
Site Reliability Engineers will build and monitor any systems and processes in production with an eye for improving service resiliency and reducing repetitive and manual tasks.
What will you do?
OPERATIONAL & APPLICATION SUPPORT ENGINEERS will
- Work closely with members of the development and QA teams to deploy change requests and enforcing production-release best practices.
- Compare performance between production and lower environments, and raise issues for discussion and remediation
- Mitigate operational risks through ensuring tech currency, patching, vulnerability & security management, and access controls are all regularly performed
- Perform necessary activities to keep applications current such as month-end runs, application change deployments, and perform problem and incident management
- Author technical specifications and system development life cycle artifacts as required
- Work with colleagues, other RBC IT teams, stakeholders, and vendors to design and implement upstream and downstream interfaces to the applications.
- Perform change management activities such as source code management, creating activity records for production implementation, and developing implementation plans, etc.
SITE RELIABILITY ENGINEERS will
- Develop SRE solutions (monitoring and alerting, machine learning anomaly detection, self-healing and reliability testing)
- Apply design-thinking and agile mindset in working with SREs, Scrum Masters and Incident Leads
- Adopt automation solutions for applications
- Perform production support role, troubleshooting all systems and applications in scope, including off-hours support
- Support mainframe programs, JCL and Zeke Jobs
- Assist in incident management and problem management for applications in scope
- Ensure availability and uptime of applications in scope
- Ensure compliance of all systems and applications in scope
What do you need to succeed?
OPERATIONAL & APPLICATION SUPPORT ENGINEERS – MUST HAVE:
- Application custodian experience, including experience managing dev, pre-prod, and prod environments
- Experience in creating and executing disaster recovery protocols
- Good expertise with main industry databases (Oracle, SQL server, etc.)
- Commitment to learn knowledge of DevOps and Test-driven Development
- Very strong attention to detail and a continuous improvement mindset
- Curious nature and a “can do” attitude, combined with a willingness to ask tough questions
- A mindset that actively looks for efficiencies, or opportunities for automation
NICE TO HAVE:
- Understanding of Risk and Finance business needs and reporting expectations
- Experience managing applications through the software development life cycle (SDLC)
- Experience with reviewing, executing on, and reporting on policy expectations
- Familiarity with 1st line, 2nd line, and 3rd line of defense
SITE RELIABILITY ENGINEERS – MUST HAVE:
- An engineer mindset, SDLC experience with production class delivery, strong analytical mindset, communication skills, and sense of ownership / drive
- Typically requires 2 to 4 years of related experience in Software Engineering (SRE, DevOps, Cloud, Data)
- Intermediate experience in a variety of environments (Cloud, distributed and mainframe, business workflows and services/APIs, databases)
- Hands-on experience in a variety of SRE languages and tools (Ansible, Dynatrace
- Managed, Moog, PagerDuty, ServiceNow, GitHub, Slack, Elastic, Logstash, Kibana, Blue Prism, Catch Point)
- Experience with Agile (SCRUM) methodologies
NICE TO HAVE:
- 2+ years’ experience with compiled languages
- Experience with Docker, OpenShift
- Experience building or supporting distributed applications
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock where applicable
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- Opportunities to do challenging work
- Opportunities to take on progressively greater accountabilities
About RBC Financial Group
Royal Bank of Canada (RY on TSX and NYSE) and its subsidiaries operate under the master brand name RBC.
- We are one of Canada's largest banks and one of the largest banks in the world, based on market capitalization.
- We are one of North America's leading diversified financial services companies, and provide personal and commercial banking, wealth management, insurance, investor services and capital markets products and services on a global basis.
- We have over 80,000 full- and part-time employees who serve more than 16 million personal, business, public sector and institutional clients through offices in Canada, the U.S. and 35 other countries.