What is the opportunity?
The Enterprise & International Applications (E&IA) group is looking for Big Data Engineers & Scientists to support its management of data needs, and generation of data-based insights across critical areas of the bank. These roles are available at both junior and senior levels.
The Corporate Systems team in E&IA is responsible for managing and delivering on all IT initiatives for the Group Risk Management function of the bank.
The Finance IT team in E&IA is responsible for managing and delivering on all IT initiatives for the Finance function of the bank.
As a Big Data Engineer, you will contribute in the continued build out of service based architectures and data delivery models to support the strategic data sourcing needs of the Finance and Risk business groups. You will assist in the building of streamlined solutions to acquire, transform and provision data sets from key Lines of Business (LOBs) across the Bank. The role will require implementation execution and design input. The data sourcing platform leverages a combination of Linux servers, Hadoop and Cloudera Data Lakes, and other “Big-Data” technologies.
As a Data Scientist you will analyze, design and implement data science solutions using RBC’s enterprise suite of analytics tools. Leveraging leading edge technologies and capabilities, you will apply a variety of domain specific machine learning and statistical modelling techniques to help E&IA understand the changing business environment, discover new opportunities for cost reduction and operational efficiency, and determine where business improvements can be made.
What will you do?
Interact with multiple RBC teams (e.g. Risk, Finance, HR, Insurance, Corporate Real Estate, Audit) to understand their business needs and IT environments.
DATA ENGINEERS will
- Design systems to work with large data volumes across multiple nodes
- Code (Java, Scala, Spark) solutions to support common and strategic data sourcing needs
- Work with data science libraries to assist in deployment of machine learning models
- Contribute to data and system architecture
- Build deep domain knowledge and understanding of available data sources
- Migrate legacy decision tree models to modern platform
- Assist in the successful delivery of strategic data sourcing projects, on time and within budget
- Contribute in the build out of strong development unit test practices, with a goal of automated regression testing
- Help embed DevOps continuous integration processes into the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) code promotion process ensuring it is as efficient as possible
DATA SCIENTISTS will
- Ideate and implement solutions, spanning multiple statistical/ML areas with key focus on
- Causal Inference, Recommender Systems, Experimental Design, Contextual Bandits, and Bayesian Inference
- Prepare, parse and integrate large and varied structured and unstructured data sets to build statistical and machine learning models
- Work with stakeholders to validate and quantify accuracy and precision of analysis and business impact
- Work closely with other product team members and present findings to stakeholders clearly
- Deploy solutions for end-users and help drive impact/change
What do you need to succeed?
DATA ENGINEERS – MUST HAVE:
- Undergraduate degree/diploma in computer science/engineering or related technology discipline
- 1-2 years’ experience in development of Java, Scala or Big-Data technologies (Hadoop/Spark)
- Strong understanding of SQL, relational databases, and big data technologies
- Exposure to Agile/SCRUM experience within SDLC development practices
- Exposure to DevOps continuous integration/delivery tools including GitHub, Jenkins, JIRA, Confluence, and Urban Code Deploy
- Ability to effectively communicate (both verbally and in writing) with project team members, stakeholders and other IT teams such as application development, middleware and infrastructure teams
NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience in XML technologies (XSD etc)
- Experience with web application and web services development
DATA SCIENTISTS – MUST HAVE:
- BSc, Master or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics or Mathematics or similar fields.
- Ideal candidates will have 2+ years of hands-on experience
- Experience with machine learning and statistical methods, exploratory data analysis, data visualization, model assessment and selection
- Experience with common statistical, machine learning and deep learning libraries and frameworks
- Proficient in programming languages such as Python, R, Scala/PySpark
- Familiarity with collaborative software development tools (git, issue tracking)
- Ability to perform complex data analysis and present findings to stakeholders. Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal) across peers and senior leaders
NICE TO HAVE:
- Strong knowledge of design, development, and implementation data science technologies
- Experience deploying models into productions as Rest APIs, batch jobs or dashboards
- Experience implementing Service Oriented Architectures
- Passion for writing high-quality, maintainable and robust code
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock where applicable
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- Opportunities to do challenging work
- Opportunities to take on progressively greater accountabilities
About RBC Financial Group
Royal Bank of Canada (RY on TSX and NYSE) and its subsidiaries operate under the master brand name RBC.
- We are one of Canada's largest banks and one of the largest banks in the world, based on market capitalization.
- We are one of North America's leading diversified financial services companies, and provide personal and commercial banking, wealth management, insurance, investor services and capital markets products and services on a global basis.
- We have over 80,000 full- and part-time employees who serve more than 16 million personal, business, public sector and institutional clients through offices in Canada, the U.S. and 35 other countries.