The Enterprise & International Applications (E&IA) group is looking for Software Developer Engineers to support its development of world-class critical systems for the bank. This single posting is for all applicants interested in Front-end, Back-end, or Full-stack opportunities. These positions are available in both junior and senior roles.
The Corporate Systems team in E&IA is responsible for managing and delivering on all IT initiatives for the Group Risk Management function of the bank.
The Finance IT team in E&IA is responsible for managing and delivering on all IT initiatives for the Finance function of the bank.
The Software Development Engineers will be assigned to projects which form part of a roadmap to transform these core areas of the bank. In doing so, you will be part of a team responsible for architecting, building, and testing resilient applications with modern interfaces. The end goal is to achieve shared components (e.g. containerization, centralized Data Lake, standardized data models and analytics, a unified reporting layer) that result in a frictionless user experience (e.g. presenting information in a dynamic and intuitive manner, reducing latency with internal or 3rd party systems).
What will you do?
- Work within an Agile environment and contribute to the success of the Agile structure through innovations and deep expertise of what makes an Agile environment successful
- Review requirements, provide estimates, code, and incorporate enhancements in the development of features or compliance requests to new or existing applications
- Propose innovative solutions to simplify existing environments and reduce costs
- Help in migration of legacy code and application to modern platforms and the target architecture
- Author, query, and report on performance tuning rules
- Build reusable and fully tested (unit tests) code
- Depending on the engagement, you may need to
- Design, develop, unit test, and deploy software in Java
- Author Java code for variable derivations and business rules execution
- Design, develop, unit test, and deploy software in Python
- Author PySpark code to derive features based on large data sets
- Develop Tableau reports and dashboards, including development of self-serve models and tutoring others to develop their own reports
- Prototype and test reports
- Integrate with internal/external micro-services and fix bugs in new and existing code
- Optimize applications for maximum usability and function or desktop, tablet, or mobile devices as required
- Develop and maintain APIs and all supporting code and design, build micro-services and lead the team and mentor other developers
- Design highly scalable and extensible products
What do you need to succeed?
All Roles – Must Have:
- Experience with at least one of Java, Apache, or Spark
- Strong interest in the financial industry and preferably knowledge of Risk concepts
- Passion for Big Data and associated tools (Hadoop, cloud and containers)
- Good expertise with main industry databases (Oracle, SQL server, etc.)
- Experience with Rest API and Micro-services
- Experience working on cloud native solutions will be an asset and experience with modern dev-ops techniques is a must. We use GitHub, UrbanCode and Jenkins
- Good understanding of backend databases like MongoDb, Elastic
- Commitment to learn Knowledge of DevOps and Test-driven Development
- Excellent oral, written, and listening skills
ALL ROLES – Nice To Have
- Understanding of Front Office vs Back Office requirements
- Knowledge of Finance and Risk data requirements
- Data Management Office expertise and responsibilities
- Familiarity with 1st line, 2nd line, and 3rd line of defense
FULL STACK DEVELOPERS – MUST HAVE:
- Excellent Java skills
- Strong Python skills and Spark development experience
- Experience with Tableau driven dashboards & analytics for desktop and mobile
- OpenShift experience
- Thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle, and exposure to DevOps continuous integration/delivery tools including GitHub, Jenkins, JIRA, Confluence, and Urban Code Deploy.
FULL STACK DEVELOPERS – Nice to have:
- Watson Studio experience
- SAS experience
- Machine learning development
FRONT-END DEVELOPERS – MUST HAVE:
- Extensive experience in designing, developing and maintaining modern user experiences using Angular, Java/Node.js, and C#
- Any one of the following will be an asset, Elastic, Redis,kafka, Logstash, .net and CloudFoundry
- Experience with Responsive adaptive web design and experience in using UX designs and building pleasing applications
FRONT-END DEVELOPERS – Nice to have:
- Familiarity with technologies like Angular, HTML, CSS, NgRx etc.
- Experience with one of these GraphQL, React, Redux/NgRx, visualization libraries
- Good eye for the UX design and being able to work closely with UX designer.
- Knowledge of modern engagement tools like Google Analytics, Firebase, WalkMe and others
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock where applicable
Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- Opportunities to do challenging work
- Opportunities to take on progressively greater accountabilities
About RBC Financial Group
Royal Bank of Canada (RY on TSX and NYSE) and its subsidiaries operate under the master brand name RBC.
We are one of Canada's largest banks and one of the largest banks in the world, based on market capitalization.
We are one of North America's leading diversified financial services companies and provide personal and commercial banking, wealth management, insurance, investor services and capital markets products and services on a global basis.
We have over 80,000 full- and part-time employees who serve more than 16 million personal, business, public sector and institutional clients through offices in Canada, the U.S. and 35 other countries.