REDspace is a custom software development company. We build cutting-edge streaming platforms and user experiences that are transforming the media & entertainment industry for clients such as WarnerMedia, ViacomCBS, Sony, and IBM. Leveraging our extensive, world-class experience, we help transform other industries by integrating existing systems with consumer media innovations and emerging technologies such as video, voice, mobile, machine learning, and gaming tech.
We are looking for a Senior Software Developer – Video Player Clients to join our growing, cross-functional team.
As a Senior Software Developer, focused on Video Player Clients you will be responsible for ensuring the client-side video playback is staying current with industry standards, you will convert user stories and/or specifications into a functional video player. You will participate in the development process from inception to deployment, collaborating with a team of designers, developers and a project manager. You will help coach and mentor junior developers informally, offering technical support and guidance throughout the project lifecycle. To ensure top quality every step of the way, you will write efficient code, testing it prior to submission and you will troubleshoot and debug the result of your work with the help of QA throughout the Agile process. Given the client-facing nature of this role, your strong communication and customer service skills will ensure customer satisfaction with the process and the product.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 5+ years of development experience
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related areas such as Computer Science or Software Engineering considered an asset
- Proficient at development within existing code bases as well as greenfield projects.
- Proficient with at least one of the following languages:
- Objective-C / Swift
- Java / Kotlin
- Strong understanding of one of or a few of the following:
- Media Source Extensions and Encrypted Media Extensions
- Encoding and packaging of media.
- ISO-BMFF (ISO-14496-12)
- How it impacts client-side support, tooling to inspect to work with backend
- Media encoding and packaging – specifically Common Encryption schemes
- Client-side support
- Difference between CTR and CBC encryption modes
- Content Delivery Networks and their caching models (Fastly, Akamai, CloudFront, etc)
- Client and Server-side Ad Insertion
- Git and common branching models
- Ecosystem Build Tooling (xcodebuild, gradle, webpack | rollup | …)
- Client-side API Usage and Development
- An understanding of scrum and kanban
- Ability to process and conceptualize information within tight timelines
Working at REDspace.
One of the big plus sides of working at REDspace is we look out for you.
Your well-being. We offer:
- Fully company-funded health, vision, dental, and life insurance coverage with access to an online doctor
- Pension plan contribution matching
- Healthy living allowance
Your career. We’re invested in your growth. We offer:
- Annual professional development allowance
- Bi-weekly and monthly Project and Tech shares
- Annual salary and performance reviews
Your happiness. You’ll enjoy coming to work every day. We offer:
- A flexible work environment with remote work options, in-office opportunities or a mixed approach
- Financial relocation assistance
- Social and team-building events
- Charitable donation matching
REDspace is a full-service digital studio specializing in mobile, web, gaming, and video solutions. We craft award-winning digital experiences that empower some of the world’s largest brands including MTV, Nickelodeon, Fox, IBM, CBC, Cartoon Network, and many more. Supporting our partners is what we’re good at, and we believe in what we do.
Our business is based on trusted long-term relationships. With a team of over 160, nothing is ever outsourced. We stay on top of industry trends while also looking ahead to new, exciting technologies that will help grow businesses.
Our culture is built around our people. We’re fortunate to have a team here in Nova Scotia, consisting of hard workers, problem solvers, industry leaders, and creative thinkers who are all passionate about what we do. We’re proud to work with our community and sponsor youth programs at every level to show Nova Scotians that you can do awesome work from right here at home!