SaltWire Network is Atlantic Canada’s largest integrated media company. We connect Atlantic Canadians with local stories to provoke thought and action for the betterment of our communities.
SaltWire’s media assets include the major daily newspapers in Atlantic Canada such as The Chronicle Herald, The Guardian and The Telegram. It also operates the most visited Atlantic Canadian-owned news site – SaltWire.com. Owned and operated by Atlantic Canadians, SaltWire is a fully multi-platform media company with a very loyal consumer following and a long-term perspective. SaltWire’s 500 direct employees and nearly 2000 contractors ensure it remains Atlantic Canadian’s essential source for reliable and trusted information.
As a member of the Dev Ops Team, the Technical Product Manager will offer guidance and support to a keen team of Full Stack Web Developers on existing projects and objectives. They will also work with internal and external stakeholders to develop and deliver future digital products, services, and customer and business solutions.
If you believe you have the talent and motivation to join our team, we want to hear from you! Our core values: Proactively Team Up, Celebrate Others, Stick-with-it-ness, Client at the Heart of Everything, Do the Right Thing, Pride in Work, Open-Minded. If you share these values, come join our team.
- Work closely with the development team to understand their current workload, help them find new tasks, and help answer their questions.
- Create detailed work tickets that describe work requirements to the development team.
- Triage feature/change requests coming from outside the development team and make quick judgements about the prioritization of effort.
- Read and understand the codebase and be familiar with how systems work.
- Be comfortable with a version control system (we use Git) and be able to follow along with pull requests and different feature branches to monitor status.
- Run sprint planning sessions and scope out two-week blocks of work for the development team to tackle.
- Maintain a high level of quality overall in the digital products delivered at SaltWire, both for customers, but also the internal staff.
- Assist with hiring development talent.
- Reviewing analytics and gathering insight from internal stakeholders to create a strategy
- Project/sprint management including estimation, budgets, timelines, project obstacle removal and problem resolution. This includes proactive communication of any anticipated delays or missed deliverables.
- Respond to and stay ahead of changing technology and industry trends
Essential Skills and Attributes:
- 5+ years of digital product management experience.
- The ability to blend business strategy with technical knowledge to help propel projects forward in line with long-term goals.
- A degree and/or equivalent experience in software development
- Experience leading development teams through the software development lifecycle.
- Contributed to the design, development or project management of software applications
- Experience working in Agile teams and/or Agile project management
- Familiarity with gathering project requirements and constraints, as well as scoping/estimating those requirements.
- Knowledge and effective use of project management best practices, tools, and frameworks.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to build strong relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Flexibility to manage and lead multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proven track record delivering high-quality, results-based work.
Preferred (but not essential) skills:
- A background in web development, specifically using the Django web framework and Python language.
- Proficient in Office 365 suite in a Mac-based environment.
- Some Linux systems administration skills.
Qualified applicants are invited to forward their cover letter and resume quoting posting #47-21 before the May 28, 2021 deadline.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate: Halifax, NS (preferred)
- Software development: 5 years (preferred)
- Leadership: 3 years (preferred)
Work remotely: Temporarily due to COVID-19
About SaltWire Network
SaltWire Network is Atlantic Canada’s largest integrated media company. We connect Atlantic Canadians with local stories to provoke thought and action for the betterment of our communities. SaltWire’s media assets include the major daily newspapers in Atlantic Canada such as The Chronicle Herald, Cape Breton Post, The Guardian and The Telegram. It also operates the most visited Atlantic Canadian-owned news site - SaltWire.com. Owned and operated by Atlantic Canadians, SaltWire is a fully multi-platform media company with a loyal consumer following and a long-term perspective. SaltWire’s nearly 500 direct employees and nearly 2000 contractors ensure it remains Atlantic Canadian’s essential source for reliable and trusted information.