Department: Marketing & Sales
Supervisor: Director of Marketing & Sales
Position Category: Full Time
Working Hours: 35 hours per week (flexible hours)
The Events Coordinator is responsible for the sale, planning, and delivery of event facility rentals including new business development, client service, setup, and execution of venue rentals within the 40,000 sq. waterfront facility.
The Events Coordinator also leads the planning and execution of internal events including after-hours adult experiences, membership engagement, and fundraising events working with internal staff and external suppliers to create superior event experiences.
The successful candidate should be extremely well organized with great project management skills, is able to multitask independently and has superior client and team communication skills. The Events Coordinator should represent Discovery Centre professionally in the community and while educating clients about Discovery Centre’s products and services.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Event Sales, Planning & Delivery:
- Facilitate event rental inquiries, as well as conduct proactive sales initiatives to showcase the space to relevant groups
- Strive to meet or exceed annual budget projections while engaging in regular tracking and progress reporting
- In collaboration with the Director of Marketing & Sales and the Manager of Marketing & Communications, coordinate promotional material and marketing campaigns promoting Discovery Centre event rentals.
- Manage all aspects of event bookings including client tours, needs assessment, quoting, and contract development
- Manage all aspects of event execution including audio-visual requirements, facility setup and teardown, as well as staff briefings
- Work with the Centre’s caterer to ensure clients’ food and beverages needs are fulfilled
- Lead an internal committee to plan, market, and execute proprietary events
- Consult on internal Discovery Centre fundraising, member, and ticketed events
- Provide exceptional customer service during the planning and execution of client events
- Communicate to individual and corporate prospects, through various platforms (email marketing, one-on-one “cold-calling”, in-person site visits etc.)
- Conduct regular market research to maintain a competitive edge in the local event rental market
- Continue to refine and administer policies, procedures and standards for facility rentals
- Maintain database of clients using CRM database
- Manage space calendar bookings
- Work with facilities department to manage space requirements and audio-visual needs
- Ensure compliance with insurance, legal, and health and safety as defined by Nova Scotia Occupational Health and Safety Act.
The ideal candidate possesses the following qualifications:
- Degree or diploma in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Event Planning or Business
- 3 years’ experience in event planning and sales
- Exceptional customer service skills, sales, marketing, and event management experience
- Demonstrated ability establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with multiple organizations and customers
- Self-motivated and works well independently establishing priorities and multitasking workload with minimal supervision
- Team orientated inspiring others to work together toward a common goal
- Extremely organized, resourceful, and detail orientated
- Experience managing prospects and opportunities within a CRM database
- Proven track record of successful sales initiatives
- Demonstrated skills in managing facility rentals is an asset
- Strong technical and audio-visual skills are an asset
- Ability to track sales, manage budgets, analyze data and prepare reports are all assets
- Administrative skills for developing estimates, invoices, and reports
- Strong computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office including One Drive
- Ability to move furniture and lift heavy objects with appropriate training
- Meet or exceed annual budget projections
- Prepare estimates and invoices
- Arrange payments and send confirmations with appropriate materials /information to rental clients
- Prepare and manage contracts with outside vendors and clients
Manage associated budgets and expenditures
The Events Coordinator is a member of the Marketing & Sales Department under the supervision of the Director Marketing & Sales. The Events Coordinator works closely with the Manager Marketing & Communications and the Science Education, Exhibits, Operations and Business Development departments in the facilitation and support of the facility rental and event delivery.
A total of 35 hours per week with evening and weekend shifts as required.
The environment is primarily an office setting but requires interaction with all areas within the facility. The incumbent is required to work core business hours but can be flexible depending on volume of evening and weekend work required.
About The Discovery Centre
Located in downtown Halifax offering three floors of interactive fun and education through permanent and temporary exhibits, HD movies, live science shows and many special events and outreach activities. The Discovery Centre is an invaluable resource for families looking to spend quality time with their children, or for schools and groups looking to provide a quality educational opportunity for their students or members.