Department: Marketing & Sales
Supervisor: Director of Marketing & Sales
Position Category: Full Time
Working Hours: 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Director Marketing & Sales, the Manager Marketing & Communications is responsible for the implementation of the organization’s marketing strategies and external communications. The Manager Marketing & Communications directs the efforts of the Graphic Designer and Digital Marketing Coordinator to create a positive image and coordinate activities to grow admission, membership, and event revenue.
The successful candidate should be extremely well organized with great project management skills, is able to multitask independently and has superior stakeholder and team communication skills. The Manager Marketing & Communications should represent Discovery Centre professionally in the community while interacting with suppliers and partner organizations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the use of the Discovery Centre brand on all internal channels including promotional materials and signage in use by each department, as well as external channels including website, social media, and advertising.
- Manage all social media activities including proprietary content which fits within the objectives of the Centre, as well as sharing of relevant content of value to followers.
- Manage procurement of social media content, scheduling, and execution.
- Content development for website, social channels, advertising, reports etc.
- Manage website design and content updates/ enhancements.
- Monitor growth of social media and website following.
- Investigate and implement digital marketing opportunities using programmatic or publisher direct.
- Develop marketing plans to promote featured exhibits and other seasonal campaigns including paid and earned media.
- Media buying and creative delivery for digital and traditional media placements.
- Manage the development and distribution of promotional and marketing materials including newsletters, brochures, and merchandise.
- Support marketing efforts of special events, including adult events, exhibit openings, public and educational program events, as well as fundraising events.
- Support fundraising team with access to content development and creative services for use in proposals and sponsor recognition deliverables.
- Support education team with access to content development and creative services in the development of promotional material for educational programs, exhibits, and events.
- Coordinate media relations activities including news release development and distribution.
- Coordinate media events/ photo opts.
- Provide timely response to media inquiries.
- Leverage partner organization relationships for distribution of announcements and marketing initiatives.
- Supervise two full-time staff members, seasonal staff, as well as full-time staff and volunteers during special events. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; and appraising performance.
- Manage the marketing department’s production process and weekly deadlines.
- Liaise with external stakeholders and suppliers.
- Post-secondary education in marketing or public relations preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in marketing, communications, or public relations.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, sales, communications, and public relations activities.
- Excellent business and creative writing skills.
- Excellent internal and external communications skills.
- Demonstrated successful experience in media relations activities including writing news releases and engaging media.
- Excellent understanding of social media and how to manage and grow audiences for relevant channels.
- Experience investigating and implementing digital marketing opportunities.
- Strong project management, time-management, and organizational skills.
- Art direction and graphic design capabilities an asset.
- Experience developing, supervising, and evaluating personnel.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to think proactively with a vision to strategically identify and present new opportunities based on market trends, research, and best practices.
- Computer competency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, MailChimp, WordPress, and Google analytics.
The Manager of Marketing & Communications directly supervises two full-time staff members, seasonal staff, as well as full-time staff and volunteers during special events.
- Effectively manage, support and provide ongoing and formal annual feedback to assigned employees.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates a diverse team.
- Recruit, train, appraise, supervise, support, develop, promote and guide qualified personnel.
- Ensure effective management within the marketing, sales, and communications function in the absence of the Director of Marketing & Sales.
The position reports to the Director of Marketing & Sales. Within the Centre, the position has key working relationships with the senior management team, and staff of the Marketing and Sales Department. The position functions as a resource for all departments within the organization. Outside the Centre, the position develops and maintains key relationships with suppliers, media agencies, and partner organizations.
Hours of Work
A total of 35 hours per week with evening and weekend shifts as required.
About The Discovery Centre
Located in downtown Halifax offering three floors of interactive fun and education through permanent and temporary exhibits, HD movies, live science shows and many special events and outreach activities. The Discovery Centre is an invaluable resource for families looking to spend quality time with their children, or for schools and groups looking to provide a quality educational opportunity for their students or members.