Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We are growing our Monetization team. This team discovers, builds, and optimizes the core set of paid revenue-generating systems at Wattpad. We do this by optimizing the levers that drive paid subscription growth, and discovering and iterating on paid features that users pay for. This team creates solutions for both immediate and long-term revenue, while also working on enablement initiatives that make it easier and safer to grow our paid offerings.
In this high-impact role, your work will have a direct effect on our company’s bottom line. You will spend the bulk of your time on our native Android app implementing and testing new features, improving architecture and performance, building beautiful user interfaces, and writing shareable code that can scale across projects and teams. Wattpad runs on a large distributed system that handles 40k requests every second. Our Android app is mostly written in Kotlin, is modularized, and uses MVVM architecture. You’ll use the latest tools and open-source libraries, and your work will reach a massive global audience: our apps have 130 million total downloads!
If you’ve got a track record in Android development with a broad range of skills and interests, have a passion or background in growth and monetization, and love shipping code at HUGE scale, we’d love to hear from you.
What you’ll be doing:
- Building a cutting-edge Android app using Kotlin and Java to deliver an amazing subscription experience to millions around the world
- Validating ideas and gaining a deep understanding of user behaviour through frequent A/B testing
- Contributing to our automated test framework to maintain a high-quality codebase
- Working closely with Product Managers and Product Designers to refine the paid value experience; contributing to early discussions involving new paid features and product direction
- Releasing weekly updates to the Google Play Store
- Writing functional unit tests for your code
- Optimizing code and refactoring the current architecture to use new design patterns
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum of 3-5+ years of experience with native Android development
- Deep understanding of Android frameworks and modern design paradigms
- Strong knowledge of Java and Kotlin
- Experience using Git or other version control systems
- Ability to write effective unit tests
- Eagerness to continuously learn and grow others alongside you
- Eagerness and initiative, you leave the codebase cleaner than you found it
- Sincerely enjoy developing across platforms and technology stacks
Bonus (*not* required):
- Background or experience with growth and monetization initiatives
- Familiarity with Android-specific libraries like Dagger, RxJava or Jetpack components
- Familiarity with Bitrise, Firebase, and Jira
- Entrepreneurial attitude with strong user empathy values
- Published an Android application to Google Play
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for a gym membership for you and your family
- Downtown Halifax, NS location, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad. Where Stories Live.
Wattpad’s vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. The global multiplatform entertainment company uses the power of community and technology to enable the creation and distribution of content across a variety of formats. Its flagship app, Wattpad, is home to a community of more than 90 million people who spend over 23 billion minutes a month engaged in original stories. Tap by Wattpad, the company’s second storytelling product, offers short, chat-based stories in over a dozen languages. Wattpad Studios co-produces stories for film, television, digital and print, together with industry partners. Wattpad Brand Partnerships offers a full suite of advertising products to help brands build deep engagement with Gen Z consumers.