As the Director of Security, you will clearly describe security principles and values, be an active communicator with the business and our product organization and be able to provide technical guidance for the engineering and data folks. You’ll be able to take our existing security strategies, policies and practices and work with the team to enhance and supercharge them.
Familiar with building, refactoring and in some cases rebuilding security practices, policies and direction; your success in this role means that we will be building a larger engineering team around the direction that you will provide. Of all your traits, the most important is that you are an empathetic listener, able to coach and guide the staff around you, working with them to compromise, and to provide firm guidance when needed. Your policies will be robust, easy to use and navigate, and will be sensitive to the balance and tension between security and other non-functional characteristics of our system.
What you’ll be doing:
- Accountable for the security strategy, vision & direction and its evolution, helping craft and support the success of a plan to improve Wattpad’s security posture over time
- Making decisions on behalf of the company as it relates to Wattpad’s strategic security aims
- Creating a strategy that helps guide teams across the department to pursue both our overarching technology, user experience, and product strategies
- Creating and iterating on processes that promote security-by-design
- Fostering a culture of security and privacy within the engineering department, and the company
- Measure, monitor and systematically improve Wattpad’s security posture
- Participate in strategic goal-setting and planning for Wattpad, advocating for projects which
- Align the organization around goals which serve both the business and our security posture, reducing overall risk
- Interface, negotiate and manage relationships with third-party security tooling vendors
- Designing and evolving the security organization as it pertains to people, systems and processes
- Managing a budget related to security spending on tooling and resourcing Embody Wattpad’s values: #teamwork, #builditforward, #trailblazer, #playtowin, #resourceful, #inclusive, #userobsessed
What we’re looking for:
- 2+ years of experience in a security leadership role
- 7+ years of experience in Information Security
- Experience leading and guiding large-scale security projects; you are able to lead cross-functional teams through potentially stressful, difficult situations.
- You are comfortable leading through influence, not authority
- Experience in systems administration, software engineering, digital forensics, security engineering or privacy engineering
- Experience with Incident Management, and integrating with on-call teams; you know how to navigate differing priorities to bring security incidents to a timely and effective conclusion. You are focused on finding and resolving root security and privacy issues, whether they be people, product, technical or otherwise
- An effective communicator that can translate complex technical concepts to various audiences
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and multiple stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or related field
- Relevant security standard qualifications: CISSP, CompTIA Security+, MCSA, Certified Ethical Hacker (C|EH), or equivalent
- Experience with Python, Go, PHP
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Understanding of the security, privacy and legal frameworks that are relevant to Wattpad (e.g. ISO 27001, Safe Harbor Framework, OWASP, BSIMM, etc.)
- A data-driven, research-minded approach to solving complex challenges
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for a gym membership for you and your family
- Downtown Halifax, NS location, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad. Where Stories Live.
Wattpad’s vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. The global multiplatform entertainment company uses the power of community and technology to enable the creation and distribution of content across a variety of formats. Its flagship app, Wattpad, is home to a community of more than 90 million people who spend over 23 billion minutes a month engaged in original stories. Tap by Wattpad, the company’s second storytelling product, offers short, chat-based stories in over a dozen languages. Wattpad Studios co-produces stories for film, television, digital and print, together with industry partners. Wattpad Brand Partnerships offers a full suite of advertising products to help brands build deep engagement with Gen Z consumers.