Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
It’s been an exciting time of growth, change and development for Wattpad. We are expanding our largest team – engineering and data – and with this growth comes the need to expand our team management. Engineering Managers are part of the Engineering Leadership Team at Wattpad; they play a big role day to day to ensure their team has the skills they need to be successful; through hiring, growth and development of individuals. As an Engineering Manager, you will have a direct impact in shaping the engineering ethos at Wattpad, a voice within the department leadership and stewarding the growth of a team of diverse engineers and data practitioners.
We are hiring multiple Engineering Managers across our platform engineering teams and product squads, one of which is within our Monetization vertical. The primary mandate of this team is to grow and engage our paying community to drive revenue and reward writers, through our subscription and IAP products. We also build solutions to make it easier to scale long-term revenue, by working on enablement and infrastructure to accelerate our business. The team has a cross-functional makeup of platform, web and mobile engineers; we build microservices in Go and maintain a PHP backend, and build on the latest technologies on Web, iOS and Android.
What you’ll be doing:
- Ensure your team has all the skills it needs to be successful through hiring, growth and development of engineers
- Ensure your team is high performing, with a healthy, inclusive and collaborative culture
- Empower engineers to deliver work they are proud of, through advocacy and embodiment of engineering best practices
- Conduct regular 1-1s with your direct reports to ensure health, wellness and career growth
- Coach and provide technical guidance as necessary to help the squad make sound decisions and unblock engineers
- Collaborate with Product, Design, and Marketing to mitigate risks as they arise, and build and maintain a roadmap for long-term success
- Help build a culture of receiving and providing feedback in a constructive and safe way, that maximizes growth and success of the team and individuals
- Celebrate wins and share learnings from unsuccessful initiatives
- Depending on your interest and bandwidth contribute hands-on as an individual contributor
What we’re looking for:
- You have demonstrated experience in a management or team leadership role, and are comfortable being a technical representative for your team within a medium-sized organization
- Solid understanding and background in software development, such as backend or client engineering. While you will not be expected to write code, having hands-on experience will help you be a better leader
- You are a highly organized leader, who is adept at communicating risks and outcomes with stakeholders
- You are a great coach who helps their team unlock the best version of themselves; helping people identify their strengths and areas for development in a constructive way is a major part of this role
- You empower engineers by helping them build ownership over their work and demonstrate care for their success and personal well-being
- You are productive and results-oriented, and can effectively unblock engineers when they need assistance. While you are not always hands-on with respect to code, you are critical in guiding your team to hit its goals
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for a gym membership for you and your family
- A beautiful office in downtown Toronto, with easy access to transit
- And a whole lot more!
**Update: Wattpad is still actively hiring for this role! We are a robust and growing business; our search for new talent continues.**
Due to the current state with COVID-19, Wattpad will conduct all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third-party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom. Our intention is to respect everybody’s need for safety and adherence to social distancing.
We also want to respect our team’s personal needs and capacity for professional commitments during this time; consequently our pace for the interviewing process might be impacted.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
Wattpad. Where Stories Live.
Wattpad’s vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. The global multiplatform entertainment company uses the power of community and technology to enable the creation and distribution of content across a variety of formats. Its flagship app, Wattpad, is home to a community of more than 90 million people who spend over 23 billion minutes a month engaged in original stories. Tap by Wattpad, the company’s second storytelling product, offers short, chat-based stories in over a dozen languages. Wattpad Studios co-produces stories for film, television, digital and print, together with industry partners. Wattpad Brand Partnerships offers a full suite of advertising products to help brands build deep engagement with Gen Z consumers.
Learn more at: company.wattpad.com or brands.wattpad.com