We are hiring an Engineering Manager for one of our platform engineering teams. Platform engineering teams build capabilities and evolve our technology. The team mandate is to increase the effectiveness of our engineers through optimizing our systems and creating internal tools and processes. Our Platform, Infrastructure and Enablement team’s main focus is to deliver, maintain, improve and build best-in-class platforms and infrastructure to support the many product building squads at Wattpad.
With 90M users (and growing), this team is working to solve challenging problems in architecture, platform thinking, API design and migration strategies. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about solving these problems and who is ready to dive deep into questions around stability, scalability, cost of ownership and security.
The Engineering Manager position requires a history of building high-performing teams, deep technical expertise and leadership skills.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead a team of 5-10 engineers and play an active role in hiring across the team
- Ensure the team is high performing, with a healthy, inclusive and collaborative culture
- Coach engineers on the team and guide them through a fulfilling career
- Contribute to the technology strategy by guiding and shepherding the technical architecture
- Maintain high quality standards, especially with technology, and foster a culture of long-term thinking and innovation
- Help support and unblock the team in delivering on its goals; you will oversee the technical scoping and planning for the team, and lead sprint rituals such as daily scrum and retrospectives
- Work alongside a technical product manager to provide leadership, guidance and direction for the team
- Be enthusiastic and embrace Wattpad’s values: #teamwork, #builditforward, #trailblazer, #playtowin, #resourceful, #inclusive, #userobsessed
What we’re looking for:
- 2+ years of experience building and leading successful engineering teams
- 5+ years of experience in a prior software development role
- Experience leading and guiding large-scale technical projects
- A strong technical background in order to make well informed decisions
- An effective communicator that can translate complex technical concepts to various audiences
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and multiple stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or related field
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies:
- Data: Kafka, Spark, Redshift, Luigi/Airflow for task coordination, Glue as a Hive metastore
- Backend: Go, Python, Node.js, PHP, MySQL, redis, memcached, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform
- Native Android and/or iOS Applications
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for a gym membership for you and your family
- Downtown Halifax, NS location, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad. Where Stories Live.
Wattpad’s vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. The global multiplatform entertainment company uses the power of community and technology to enable the creation and distribution of content across a variety of formats. Its flagship app, Wattpad, is home to a community of more than 90 million people who spend over 23 billion minutes a month engaged in original stories. Tap by Wattpad, the company’s second storytelling product, offers short, chat-based stories in over a dozen languages. Wattpad Studios co-produces stories for film, television, digital and print, together with industry partners. Wattpad Brand Partnerships offers a full suite of advertising products to help brands build deep engagement with Gen Z consumers.