Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
At Wattpad, we have a massive scale and reach across our global users; this is what makes us unique. It’s been an exciting time of growth, change and development for Wattpad. We are expanding our largest team – engineering and data – and with this growth comes the need for a Head of Data. This role will work extremely closely with our Head of Engineering, partnering as the voice of technology and data strategy within Wattpad. The scope for this role is vast; as a department head, this role will continue to ensconce Wattpad as a leader in machine learning and further our deep learning with our core product and emerging products. The Head of Data will have an important role amongst the broader Leadership Team as well as the Engineering Leadership Team; translating how our technology and data strategy informs Wattpad’s business strategy.
What you will be doing:
- Oversee multiple distinct and crucial data disciplines with diverse team members (Data Science, Analytics, Data Engineering, Machine Learning, and Applied Research)
- Collaborating to develop, iterate on, and roll out the long-term vision and strategy for Data at Wattpad
- Manage and work closely with our Data Scientists on solving business problems and delivering value, developing and supporting an organizational vision
- Identify, monitor, & mitigate cross-project or cross-functional dependencies while managing relationships, anticipating / mitigating risks, facilitating communications and leading projects in an agile environment
- You will demonstrate passion for and deep knowledge of data management as an experienced practitioner
- You are adept and have practical experience working with large datasets and databases, both relational and non-relational
- Our production scale is already large, and continuing to expand, so you will continue to define and extend what our production system looks like
- Share your statistical acumen; run experiments through your established experience with AB testing/ABC testing
- You have an understanding of the basics of experimentation, statistical significance and methodology. In particular you are able to navigate the parts of our data organization that are responsible for operational concerns (i.e. decision support, forecasting, simulation, etc.) from programmes that are focused on product and applied research (e.g. search, recommendation, etc.)
- You are able to bring a sense of rigour, stewardship and ethics to our data. Wattpad’s core values and our customers mean that we consider understanding, reducing and eliminating bias in our models, algorithms and use of our data to be a defining characteristic of who we are. We want someone who is passionate about these values and willing to grow a team around them
- You will be working across a massive scale of users, data pipelines and data; our data sets reach the 10s to 100s of petabytes; you have experience with this scale and complexity and can navigate the strategic opportunity that comes with this
Bonus Points For:
- You have experience or have engaged with Bayesian concepts and/or counterfactual analysis
- You have experience with statistical learning and artificial intelligence approaches to NLP, in particular NLU. (Having some knowledge of NLG would also be a plus)
- Experience and knowledge in the field of data privacy and security
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ years’ of practical experience in a data oriented field, with 3-5 years of established team management experience of sufficient size and complexity of roles
- You have deep understanding of the dynamics of a successful and engaged “data first” organization
- You are a strategic thinker and doer; you are able to articulate a vision and goal and catalyze in others to act on this strategy
- A strong communicator, you are a storyteller who can translate statistical concepts into digestible results, both for engineering and non-engineering audiences
- You are able to work cross-functionally across many levels of a matrixed organization with excellent stakeholder management skills, and the ability to build rapport and strong working relationships
- Proven track record of overseeing multiple data science and machine learning projects at all stages, from idea generation to objectives formulation to implementation and deliverables
- You publish and regularly speak at ML/DL events or have worked to establish your profile in the data community. You might also have delivered professional training to developers, data scientists, engineers or similar technical audiences
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in computer science/engineering/data science or equivalent experience
**Update: Wattpad is still actively hiring for this role! We are a robust and growing business; our search for new talent continues.**
Due to the current state with COVID-19, Wattpad will conduct all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third-party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom. Our intention is to respect everybody’s need for safety and adherence to social distancing.
We also want to respect our team’s personal needs and capacity for professional commitments during this time; consequently, our pace for the interviewing process might be impacted.
Wattpad. Where Stories Live.
Wattpad’s vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. The global multi-platform entertainment company uses the power of community and technology to enable the creation and distribution of content across a variety of formats. Its flagship app, Wattpad, is home to a community of more than 90 million people who spend over 23 billion minutes a month engaged in original stories. Tap by Wattpad, the company’s second storytelling product, offers short, chat-based stories in over a dozen languages. Wattpad Studios co-produces stories for film, television, digital and print, together with industry partners. Wattpad Brand Partnerships offers a full suite of advertising products to help brands build deep engagement with Gen Z consumers.