Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We are looking for a Senior Product Manager who has a strong foundation in product fundamentals of strategy, product discovery, communication and leadership, as well as a passion for and experience with data products, including machine learning products.
We are hiring for our Algorithmic Enablement and Machine Learning squad which consists of Data Scientists and ML Engineers. The squad’s mandate is to invest in our machine learning infrastructure and algorithms (including recommendations, search and NLP on story text) to better serve our business and users across the Wattpad experience. The team works closely with other squads across Wattpad including Reader Journey, Subscriber Growth and Creator Journey to ensure that data algorithms are solving the right problems in the right ways. The product manager on this squad will be working to help align the goals, prioritize efforts and ensure value is being delivered consistently, by working closely with members of the team and the various stakeholders.
You will work closely with a multi-disciplinary team including engineering and data. You will work to understand the needs of internal and external users to ensure we are meeting our business and user goals with data algorithms and underlying machine learning infrastructure. You will help facilitate the process of determining the best solutions in collaboration with your team, and you will be the representative of the team to ensure the team’s efforts are aligned to the needs of the organization and supported by appropriate stakeholders.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead a multi-functional team to create, evolve and maintain data models and their supporting infrastructure
- Own and manage the roadmap for this team
- Be responsible for hitting goals
- Facilitate a strong product discovery process around understanding stakeholder needs, business and user applications, and constantly validating hypotheses
- Work closely with our engineering and data teams to better define, implement and iterate on solutions together
- Seek to deeply understand algorithmic needs across the business, clearly define and prioritize challenges and opportunities to ensure we are working on the right things at the right time
- Build strong relationships across the company to help solve problems together
What we’re looking for:
- 4-6+ years of professional experience as a Product Manager
- Experience with and understanding of algorithms and machine learning systems
- Have strong product instincts about getting from a customer pain point to an underlying problem
- Passion for the power of storytelling
- Excellent leadership and communications skills, with experience managing a variety of stakeholders including those who are deeply technical
- Data-driven/analytical mindset with the ability to break down complex problems into manageable tasks and prioritize them
- Natural curiosity with a thirst to validate assumptions with data, insight and peer discussions to inform yourself better
- Degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Business, or UX Design an asset
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for a gym membership for you and your family
- A beautiful office in downtown Halifax, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad. Where Stories Live.
Wattpad’s vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. The global multiplatform entertainment company uses the power of community and technology to enable the creation and distribution of content across a variety of formats. Its flagship app, Wattpad, is home to a community of more than 90 million people who spend over 23 billion minutes a month engaged in original stories. Tap by Wattpad, the company’s second storytelling product, offers short, chat-based stories in over a dozen languages. Wattpad Studios co-produces stories for film, television, digital and print, together with industry partners. Wattpad Brand Partnerships offers a full suite of advertising products to help brands build deep engagement with Gen Z consumers.