Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We’re looking for a Senior User Experience Researcher to help us make smarter experience design and product decisions sooner. You are insatiably curious to uncover the objective truths of our users so that we can kill bad ideas, reveal deeply-rooted needs, and galvanize our resolve to do what we must to deliver irresistible value to our reading and writing community.
You are equally comfortable with broad, generative research to uncover opportunities as you are with specific evaluative techniques to perfect our solutions. You are an advocate for utilizing mixed research methods and have a constant appetite for seeking out new tools and approaches that will help us to learn more efficiently and effectively.
What you will be doing:
- Lead user research agendas and methodologies within your squad and business area level, to uncover underlying user values and needs that will drive business outcomes
- Tackle highly complex experience research problems and drive clarity in understanding user motivations to inform experiences
- Define and share new, extensible, and advanced research methods for identifying unmet user needs and opportunities to directly inform product and experience design decisions
- Be the primary hub for enabling others from across the organization to be able to objectively conduct user research through organizing research tools, methods, and teaching workshops
- Design and apply a variety of different user-research techniques both qualitative and quantitative including: surveys, interviews, usability studies, task analysis, card sorting, A/B testing
- Effectively communicate and share findings of your research with product squads, business areas, and to the company at large
What we’re looking for:
- 3+ years user research experience in product-focused environments (i.e. web and mobile), running research from discovery to delivery
- Advanced experience and understanding of different research methods, when best to apply them, with the know-how and flexibility to bend those methods to our needs
- Excellent observational skills and analytical ability – you delight in seeing things that others miss and enabling others to see the same
- Superior communication skills (oral, written, and presentation) to convey research approaches and insights at a squad, business, and company levels
- Stakeholder management – you know how to work with multiple stakeholders to drive outcomes Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in human-computer interaction, information design, psychology, anthropology, or other relevant/transferable education/experience
- A team player to work in harmony with our research team
- Bonus background in one or more of the above: statistics, quantitative research methods, design strategy, user generated content research, experience working with fiction or media content, reading and storytelling
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- Downtown Halifax, NS location, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad. Where Stories Live.
Wattpad’s vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. The global multi-platform entertainment company uses the power of community and technology to enable the creation and distribution of content across a variety of formats. Its flagship app, Wattpad, is home to a community of more than 90 million people who spend over 23 billion minutes a month engaged in original stories. Tap by Wattpad, the company’s second storytelling product, offers short, chat-based stories in over a dozen languages. Wattpad Studios co-produces stories for film, television, digital and print, together with industry partners. Wattpad Brand Partnerships offers a full suite of advertising products to help brands build deep engagement with Gen Z consumers.