Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad Studios, Wattpad Books, and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We are looking for a Technical Project Manager to join our Ad Tech Squad. In this high-impact role, you will work cross-functionally with marketing, ad-operations, as well as product and engineering teams to ensure a seamless client advertising experience to optimize our revenue. As a crucial member of a revenue-generating squad, your work will have a direct effect on our company’s bottom line. As the Technical Project Manager, you will bring your knowledge of agile and lean practices, sharing your passion to keep up with evolving practices; constantly improve delivery. You will think ahead and anticipate risks, blockers, and other potential barriers to delivery; working to address/remove these in advance and shield the team so they can focus on their day-to-day.
If you like solving problems and tackling challenges in a supportive environment, Wattpad is the place for you. Your work will reach a massive global audience: our apps have 130 million total downloads!
What you’ll be doing:
- Drive delivery on a cross-functional team, working closely with the Product Manager, Engineering Manager and Engineers as well as a Product Designer to refine product experience
- Motivate the team as they work through delivery tasks and keep morale high under challenges
- Gather necessary information e.g. context from a user & business perspective, and use this to ensure that the team is working on the most important thing at any given time
- Strategize and plan approaches to deliver value to users as soon as possible; work with the team to anticipate technical & staffing investments required to enable our team as we work towards our mission
- Communicate delivery updates and risks effectively to relevant stakeholders
- Form a deep partnership with the Product Manager, keeping them in the know as far as strategies, plans, ongoing delivery work, and any meaningful changes that may arise
- Own and facilitate agile ceremonies (Sprint planning/estimations, sprint management, retros, standups, etc)
What we’re looking for:
- Strong technical background, experience as an engineer or a CS degree is preferred but not required.
- A proven task manager who can empower the team through the delivery process i.e. instead of telling them what to do, working through problems collaboratively
- An experienced Agile practitioner who leverages the methodology’s best practices and strategies to improve team performance
- An advocate for team members, ensuring that they remain focused on the most important issues to solve effective communicator, you have the security to say no but also to recognize and negotiate effectively
- Process-oriented – the idea of building something from nothing is exciting to you
- Experience leading a team in an agile environment
- Someone who relishes in creating a culture of learning and helping bring the joy of storytelling to millions around the world
- User-focused – you have a desire to make great experiences for our millions of users
- You have an engineering background, either through education or a career path
- You bring similar experience from an agile start-up or tech environment
- Previous ad tech exposure
- PMP and/or CSM certifications
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Summer Hours
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- Generous parental leave top-up
- Transit pass, choice of hardware, flexible hours
- Corporate discount for a gym membership for you and your family
- Downtown Halifax, NS location, with easy access to transit
- And a whole lot more!
**Update: Wattpad is still actively hiring for this role! We are a robust and growing business; our search for new talent continues.**
Due to the current state with COVID-19, Wattpad will conduct all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third-party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom. Our intention is to respect everybody’s need for safety and adherence to social distancing.
We also want to respect our team’s personal needs and capacity for professional commitments during this time; consequently, our pace for the interviewing process might be impacted.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers.
Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem-solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work?
Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play…and all while having a great time.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status, or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
Wattpad. Where Stories Live.
Wattpad’s vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. The global multiplatform entertainment company uses the power of community and technology to enable the creation and distribution of content across a variety of formats. Its flagship app, Wattpad, is home to a community of more than 90 million people who spend over 23 billion minutes a month engaged in original stories. Tap by Wattpad, the company’s second storytelling product, offers short, chat-based stories in over a dozen languages. Wattpad Studios co-produces stories for film, television, digital, and print, together with industry partners. Wattpad Brand Partnerships offers a full suite of advertising products to help brands build deep engagement with Gen Z consumers.
Learn more at: company.wattpad.com or brands.wattpad.com