Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
Gaining and keeping user trust is critical to Wattpad’s success. The Trust & Safety team is expanding and we need passionate, motivated professionals who are committed to protecting user experience by encouraging safe online experiences. You are passionate about internet safety, online communities and are interested in online social interactions. Trust & Safety agents play a vital role in enforcing our Community Guidelines and Code of Conduct.
Due to the sensitive and toxic content you will come across, having a strong wellness and resilience regime is crucial. In addition to these reports, you will be dealing with other areas within the scope of the Trust & Safety team. This is a challenging but rewarding role that contributes to keeping Wattpad a safe and positive space. If this sounds like you, and your motivations; we want to hear from you!
We prioritize the wellness of the Trust & Safety team. As such, it is important to us to be transparent about what this work entails and ensure that you are comfortable with it prior to working with us. Trust & Safety team members are exposed to traumatic content and harmful user behaviours, so it is vital that you are able to communicate openly about how you are feeling with your manager. There is a risk of developing Compassion Fatigue and/or Vicarious Trauma in this role if your wellness is not attended to regularly, so let’s work together to ensure that your mental health is maintained on an ongoing basis.
*This is a 3-month contract role with an immediate start date and the possibility of an extension
What you’ll be doing:
- You will also be expected to answer community tickets ranging from Self-Harm, Suicide, CSEM (Child Sexually Explicit Material), Bullying, Harassment, Hate Speech, Violence, Pornography, Release of Personal Information, Spam
- You will be expected to identify and escalate, and potentially report content to Law Enforcement
- You will be expected to conduct police escalations for Wattpad’s at-risk users
- You will be expected to have a solid understanding of Wattpad’s Content Guidelines/Code of Conduct and enforce them by reviewing content reported by Wattpad’s community
- Participate in creating, contributing, and enforcing safety policies at Wattpad
- Act as the first line of defense for user and community issues that might arise
- Identify trends and recommend strategy adjustments based on those trends and patterns
- Play a critical role in addressing behaviours that negatively impact our users and community
- Exercise your own judgment in alignment with Wattpad’s guidelines in order to apply the appropriate remediation to any violations
- Help determine strategy and process to best support the needs of the squad, Ambassadors, or our Community.
- Contributes to improvements for identified process gaps or inefficiencies and gathers a group of stakeholders to make this happen.
- Not much gets past you! You have a keen eye for spotting inappropriate or banned content
*There is some weekend coverage for this role, which is typically 4 hours for one-weekend day/ one weekend a month. To ensure your schedule is balanced we have planned time off/days in lieu to support this commitment
What we’re looking for:
- 3-7 years of life experience; this can encompass more than paid work experience and volunteering or education
- You have demonstrated capabilities and are comfortable in reviewing and discussing content which may be difficult and/or toxic
- Team-oriented with the ability to work cross-functionally
- Patience, empathy, maturity and grit with the ability to stay calm under pressure
- Willingness to develop your own self care/wellness program, your mental health is important to us and we encourage team members to nurture a healthy mind and be self aware
- Periodically team members will be required to meet with a trained professional to ensure wellness and ongoing resilience levels are maintained
- Technical knowledge, familiarity with Google Suite is an asset, but not strictly necessary for this role
*This role will require a comprehensive background check which will be paid for by Wattpad
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- Downtown Halifax, NS location, with easy access to transit
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad. Where Stories Live.
Wattpad’s vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. The global multi-platform entertainment company uses the power of community and technology to enable the creation and distribution of content across a variety of formats. Its flagship app, Wattpad, is home to a community of more than 90 million people who spend over 23 billion minutes a month engaged in original stories. Tap by Wattpad, the company’s second storytelling product, offers short, chat-based stories in over a dozen languages. Wattpad Studios co-produces stories for film, television, digital and print, together with industry partners. Wattpad Brand Partnerships offers a full suite of advertising products to help brands build deep engagement with Gen Z consumers.