MATTHEW R. B. WARD
Currently residing in the Saint John area, I am seeking to find employment with an organization where my interests within the technological sector can be fulfilled and my ideas and skills utilized and enhanced. I have proven experience in the fields of application development, asset management, and RPAS / drone data analysis, and am familiar with the software development life cycle. Alongside being proficient in the ESRI suite of products through coursework / past employment, my recent education and work history has made me knowledgeable in the fields of RPAS flight & imagery, programming, and project management.
Resilient, social, and industrious, I aim to achieve business results as well as add to a positive organizational culture. Alongside mapping and geographic applications, my professional passions also include those related to cybersecurity and biosecurity issues.
GIS Analyst | N.B. Dept. Of Energy & Resource Development
Autumn 2018 – Autumn 2019 (Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada)
Following resigning at SEG Consulting I accepted a governmental GIS role in Fredericton, New Brunswick. In this role I support other various government departments (geological services, pest management) with application design, as well as to develop the departmental RPAS/drone program.
• Developed mapping applications for NB government departments through regular consultation and programming design with VB.NET
• Developed the departmental RPAS/drone program and flew missions with the DJI Phantom 4 Pro & DJI Matrice 210 RTK V2 unmanned vehicles. These operations collected high quality data to generate professional mapping products for emergency services & ecological management
• Solved departmental GIS issues and supported staff with software problems via the ‘Remedy’ system, having each ticket resolved within two business days.
GIS Analyst / Technician | SEG Consulting
Autumn 2015 – Spring 2018 (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
After my seasonal GIS role in Amherst, Nova Scotia I enthusiastically began a full-time GIS role with Halifax based agency SEG Consulting. This placement allowed me to work with several clients on a variety of asset management GIS projects around the municipality.
• As part of the NS Power Transmission & Distribution Inspection Redesign Project, I increased the user friendliness of NSP by developing and designing a series of web-based mapping applications using Python scripting.
• Coded data test scripts to ensure data integrity as well as client usefulness.
• Implemented a city-wide registry project for the HRM using Python scripting, allowing technicians to digitally inspect municipal assets.
• Defined and documented a unified infrastructure asset definition and hierarchy for the Halifax Regional Water Commission (HRWC) along with fellow staff.
• Created HRWC database design schema for water treatment / supply.
• Composed official project documentation, including data reconciliation and data procedure documents, to ensure the recording of the data assurance process for any data changes that arose at iteration implementation.
GIS Analyst | ALT Mapping & Nova Scotia Geomatics Centre
Summer 2015 (Amherst, Nova Scotia, Canada)
During my studies at COGS during the 2014-2015 year I obtained summer employment at the provincial geomatics centre upon graduation. This was a contracted government role through ALT Mapping.
• Increased accuracy of provincial polyline & point data features within the Nova Scotia Civic Address File (NSCAF), allowing emergency services to better perform tasks. This was completed in an ESRI environment using up-to-date aerial photography.
NOTABLE G.I.S. PROJECT WORK
Dalhousie University | Course/Project Work – INFX 2691
Winter 2018 (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
• Led a team of developers in creating an automated and optimized geographic information system for local Halifax transit lobby group It’s More Than Buses (https://morethanbuses.ca/). By implementing the software development life cycle to collect client requirements as well as using a rapid prototyping model and testing accordingly, our solution streamlined the process for the client and enabled them to quickly generate results for presentation.
• Software and languages utilized included Python, QGIS, PostgreSQL, PostGIS, and OpenTripPlanner.
Centre of Geographic Sciences | Course/Project Work – GISY 6400
Spring 2015 (Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia, Canada)
• Increased the technological knowledge base of the Annapolis Valley based Age Advantage Association by offering online mapping support, help gathering resources, and skills development through group tutorials.
• Designed and implemented a data platform transition for the association – moving from Google to an ESRI environment for the group to utilize ArcGIS Online.
• Composed project documentation in order to future-proof their application.
Teaching Assistant | Dalhousie University
Winter – Spring 2020 (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
• Graded assignments assisted students during designated lab periods as part of the CSCI 2670 Server-Side Scripting course team. This course taught PHP principles, Ajax, and their implementation with database functionality.
Administration Support | Peapell & Associates / Supertemp
Autumn 2013 – Autumn 2018 (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
• Providing administrative relief services to clients around the Halifax Regional Municipality when needed. Clients included Dalhousie University, Dept. Of Veteran’s Affairs, HRM Risk & Insurance, and the Eastern Canadian Response Centre.
Customer Service Representative | Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation
Autumn 2018 (Dartmouth, Nova Scotia)
• Maximizing sales and promoting liquor and cannabis product to customers
Broadcast Monitor & Editor | iSentia
Spring 2009 – Summer 2012 (Wellington, New Zealand)
• Responsible for listening & interpreting live Australian radio content for saleability and public relations purposes. This content was then packaged and delivered to executives to contact the appropriate business clients.
Dalhousie University – B.Sc
Applied Computer Science (Computer Science / Management) (2021)
Centre of Geographic Sciences – A.Dip
Geographic Information Systems (2015)
Saint Mary’s University – B.Sc
ArcGIS Suite, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Server
ArcGIS Runtime for .NET & WPF
Flir Tools+ (Infrared Imagery Analysis)
Pix4D (Infrared Orthomosaics)
QGIS / Grass / PostgreSQL / PostGIS
Google Earth Engine
SQL Server, MySQL, phpMyAdmin
Oracle, SQL+ – Unix Environment
Terra Suite – LiDAR Applications
Figma (Prototyping, UX Design)
Erdas Imagine – Remote Sensing
Microsoft Windows & Office Suite
Adobe Suite – Photoshop, Acrobat
IDE’s: Eclipse, Visual Studio, PyCharm
SKILLS & EXPERTISE
Spatial / Statistical Analysis
Geomatics & Geoprocessing
Drone / RPAS Technology
Application Development / Design
Project Management Methodologies
Agile (eXtreme / Incremental Development)
Software Engineering & Design Patterns
Unified Modeling Language (UML)
Database Management & Big Data Analytics
GIS, Geography, and Cartography
Image Analysis / Interpretation
Remote Sensing & LiDAR Operations / Applications
GPS Technology & Datum Transformations
Programming – codecademy.com (courses in Java, HTML5, CSS, and Python). Udemy.com (courses in C#, Java, AngularJS,
Vue, and React).
Textbooks – ‘Python Scripting for ArcGIS’ by Zandbergen.
ESRI Virtual Campus – ArcGIS online training courses
Python – ArcMap Integration
Wiki Markup Language
SQL – Queries, ArcMap Integration
HTML, CSS (Intermediate)
PHP – Database Implementation
JS: AngularJS, React, Vue (Beginner)
C, C# (Beginner)
Visual Basic .NET (Beginner)
LinkedIn profile: ca.linkedin.com/in/mrbward
Involved with both the Atlantic Canadian Geocaching Association and the Kiwicaching Association of New Zealand
Advisor & moderator for the Canadian Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP)
Hobbies include geocaching, camping, hiking, world travel, video & board games, and exploring the craft beer scene.
- Sept 2016 / June 2021 Applied Computer Science
Centre of Geographic Sciences
- Sept 2014 / June 2015 Advanced GIS
Saint Mary's University
- Sept 2001 / Oct 2005 Physics
NB Dept. of Energy & Resource Management
Nov 2018 / Oct 2019
Developed mapping applications for the New Brunswick provincial government
through regular consultation and programming design with VB.NET.
Developed the departmental RPAS/drone program and flew missions with the DJI
Phantom 4 & Matrice 210 RTK unmanned aerial vehicles. These operations
collected high quality data to generate professional mapping products for
emergency services and ecological management.
Solved departmental GIS issues and supported staff battling software issues via
the ‘Remedy’ system, having each ticket resolved within two business days.
Sept 2015 / April 2018
As part of the NS Power Transmission & Distribution Inspection Redesign Project, I assisted in increasing
the user friendliness of existing workflows by developing and designing a series of web-based mapping
Coded data test scripts to ensure data integrity as well as client usefulness.
Assisted on the implementation of a city-wide registry project for the HRM, allowing technicians to
digitally inspect municipal assets.
Assisted in defining and documenting a unified infrastructure asset definition and hierarchy for the
Halifax Regional Water Commission (HRWC).
Created HRWC database design schema for water treatment / supply.
Nova Scotia Geomatics Centre
June 2015 / September 2015
Increased accuracy of provincial polyline & point data features within the Nova Scotia Civic Address
File (NSCAF), allowing emergency services to better perform tasks. This was completed in an ESRI
environment using up-to-date aerial photography.